Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Odometer Reply with quote

Bought my '74 and the original ownwer burned up the odometer while towing. The speedo works but odometer does not. Any tips??
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link: http://www.laudeman.com/bug_speedo.html

Worked perfectly for me. I reset to 00000 as I installed new motor.

In your case you may need to find a donor speedo for the plastic gear that probably is cracked. I bought a Thing speedo on EBay for $10 just to use as a donor for the face and the lights as mine were faded.

A few tips--grease or replace your cable to get rid of any wobble. I used a handheld GPS and tried to keep the speed around 60 to adjust the needle. I forgot to mark where the needle was before I took it off so I had to tweak it after I put it on. I changed tire size so it would have had to been done anyways.

Hope this helps.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to smooth out the movement of the needle as speed fluctuates? Mine sort of jumps in centimeter increments like an old car (1974).

I'll have to read up on adusting for bigger tires, too. With taller tires now, my Thing speedo reads 55 when she's pushing 60. Regards. Richard
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease or replace cable.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Normal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently replaced the speedometer and we haven't set the odometer to match the old one. Is this something that can reduce the value of the car? Losing track of the original mileage / kilometers?
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal wrote:
We recently replaced the speedometer and we haven't set the odometer to match the old one. Is this something that can reduce the value of the car? Losing track of the original mileage / kilometers?

That depends on if it is an original low mileage car that the miles are truely documented or if it has a couple hundred thousand on it. Some states drop the mileage requirement on the title after about 10 years anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: