Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An Ambulance?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: An Ambulance? Reply with quote

Ok I`m kinda new to the bus scene but I have to ask, Why in the world would Volkswagen make a Ambulance out of a bus I mean with all the stuff that goes wrong with them would you really want to be transported no pun intended in a BUS? Hell no not me. Picture this
1.Mam were sorry to inform you but your husband died cuz we forgot to turn the reserve on in time.
2.Dont worry will have the generator changed by the time you go into shock!
3.Um will take you to the Hospital if you help us change the clutch!

C`mon LOL!!!!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tru-Dubs-Bri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and with the 25 hp engine and reduction boxes you wouldn't exactly be speedin on the way to the hospital. Heh, when I first heard one of the ambulance fans, I thought we were being invaded. But yeah, don't know how long those ambulance busses lasted...

TRU-DUBS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73VwBus73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt want my life depending on it Wink
Tru-Dubs-Bri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the patient would probably die anyway from the gas fumes coming in from the engine...

TRU-DUBS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru-Dubs-Bri wrote:
And the patient would probably die anyway from the gas fumes coming in from the engine...

I am sure that the people that serviced the ambulances, did a better job than you if you have exhaust fumes entering the passenger compartment.

I believe in my opinion that not too many VW ambulances were used by municipalities, but rather owned and operated by private firms on large grounds such as factories and the like.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, VW buses are incredibly reliable for at least the first 100,000 miles. how reliable they are after that depends on whether the owner takes care of them. I just returned from a 7400 mile road trip and all that went wrong on the whole trip was a broken accellerator cable. it took five minutes to fix.

second, there is a law in germany that any company over a certain size must have an ambulance and a fire truck. guess who made economical ambulances and fire trucks?

third, ambulances had gas gauges as well as reserve levers.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i want to know is how did it take you five minutes to swap out your accelerator cable when your such a purist.a real purist would run a front belly pan and that what make the job a little longer than what you say you did it in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SO33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to the ambulance question...
What kind of other mean of safe, fast, reliable and patient friendly transportation was ther at the time Question

I don't believe any brand of car was either better or worse than a VW, Chevies and Ford ambulances(for Example) must have had roadside breakdowns too, and more often than we think.

But it's true that I rather be carried in a brand new 2004 ambulance with ABS, air cushionned shocks and so on than an old VW... well maybe not, depending on how bad I am Laughing !

In any case, do your best not to be in any ambulance, and you won't have to figure out if fumes will kill you before your get to ER.
Keep on rollin'
Bertrand
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well maintained vehicle (i.e. an ACVW) will take you anywhere. How else would VW have sold millions upon millions of vehicles if they were not reliable. I really cant see how anyone can say otherwise. Sure, now that these cars (and busses) are 30+ years old, they have issues that need attention and their reliability function will be in direct relationship to the maintenance performed.

I have to admit though, I'm nervous when traveling long distances with any of my acvws... especially on solo journeys. I dont have a cell phone and because of their ages, you can't expect to carry every spare that could be imagined. You just have to get into the mentality that it's the journey dammit and not the destination and you'll be just fine.

Rebuild your vw to 'like new', maintain it, and it will serve you proper for the next 30 years.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell what - any acvw i have owned has been more reliable then the 2 POS (98 Jeep and a 02 Venture) that I own now.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
what i want to know is how did it take you five minutes to swap out your accelerator cable when your such a purist.a real purist would run a front belly pan and that what make the job a little longer than what you say you did it in

What kind of an un-needed vindictive answer is this! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: An Ambulance? Reply with quote

twinwindows JHC wrote:
Ok I`m kinda new to the bus scene but I have to ask, Why in the world would Volkswagen make a Ambulance out of a bus I mean with all the stuff that goes wrong with them would you really want to be transported no pun intended in a BUS? Hell no not me. Picture this
1.Mam were sorry to inform you but your husband died cuz we forgot to turn the reserve on in time.

C`mon LOL!!!!

You need to give yourself a history lesson and find out that at the time you probably would have been very happy to see the vw ambulance ariving rather than the other transport that was around at the time. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

What kind of an un-needed vindictive answer is this! :?

It was a good point.
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people that think acvws are unreliable obviously dont prep their vehicles for distance driving. its different than having some round town beater or show car....sorry but its true. preventative maintanence and listening to your vehicle are key. besides running out of gas. in nearly 20 years of vwing ive never walked away from one of mine. took a two month trip down to cabo a few years ago in a lowered 21 window. replaced a generator,which was my fault, and never missed a beat otherwise. 75 mph through the desert(for hours at a time) with the safaris wide open. build them properly, then tune them properly and you can drive them.

heres my unreliable ambulance at 11,000 ft a few weeks ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:

it broke in the back near the carb linkage, so I just bent it back on its self and spliced in a piece of wire. I am somewhat of a purist and I did have a spare cable with me, but it was 100 degrees out and I didn't feel like taking half an hour fixing it by the side of the road in green river utah. LOL
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the advance prepartaion, vs. Driving it until something breaks, fixing that only, then driving until the next thing breaks, etc.
When I got my last 67 camper, I redid all the brakes, built new engine, went through the front end, wiring, etc. After that I took it for probably 10000 miles over the next few years out to Colorado, NM, etc, and also up in the northeast. The only thing that ever went out was the voltage regulator - a non-stock replacement that was on when I got it. Since it was working, I left it on, but had a new Bosch one in a cabinet. It went out, I pulled over, swapped it out, and was back on the road within half an hour...
Of course, I did tune-ups and oil changes religiously as well...I was never nervous about hopping in and going anywhere.
If you just keep patching it together, there will always be something else to break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

it broke in the back near the carb linkage, so I just bent it back on its self and spliced in a piece of wire. I am somewhat of a purist and I did have a spare cable with me, but it was 100 degrees out and I didn't feel like taking half an hour fixing it by the side of the road in green river utah. LOL

dude!

a purist would have only installed the proper german throttle cable on the spot and then re-torqued the barrel nut to factory specs!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: An Ambulance? Reply with quote

twinwindows JHC wrote:

I believe you own a car with a reserve? You should know that you can tell when it's time to switch way before the VW stalls out.

twinwindows JHC wrote:

I believe they could make it to a hospital with a non-functioning generator. I drove from Palm Springs to Phoenix with my red light on in my Bus once.

twinwindows JHC wrote:

You have a car with a crashbox so you should know you can drive with no clutch easily.

Next!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
a purist would have only installed the proper german throttle cable on the spot and then re-torqued the barrel nut to factory specs!

FYI, there is no torque spec for that bolt.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm aware....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: