Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modifying lifters for a 36hp?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Modifying lifters for a 36hp? Reply with quote

Ive heard and read about people modifying the lifters in a 36er but they never say how. I was wondering if the case could be machined for early porsche lifters(smaller?) and be converted to a traditional valvetrain setup? Also I am looking for OG rebuildable 356/912 piston rods any idea how much $ they run or where I could get a set? Any help is greatly appreciated and makes this project one step closer.

-Julio I.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Skirmants ( 356enterprises.com ) or Tim Berardelli Racing (703)461-3436 may have rods for sale. I don't have a complete set in the barn.

No idea how to modify the lifters. If you find out, post it here for the rest of us.
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's, and I hope somebody will share their secret.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am guessing you want to use 356 3 pc case lifters in your 36hp case. You are building a Porsche or Okrasa or Denzel or some other odd permutation that is based on a KDF/25/36 hp case. I'm not trying to steal your idea, just want to know where you're coming from. You want to sleeve the lifter bores and use those super trick 356 lifters and update your entire valve train at the same time.
Sorry Bud, its impossible. The design of the 2pc case is such that the valve timing is based upon the radius of the lifter. The lifter bores are at an angle to the camshaft so the pushrods have a straight shot to the rocker arms. That is why the lifter is radiused assymetrically; Check it out yourself.
Have you ever seen 2pc case Porsche lifters? You will need to find/fabricate the ball socket that goes into the lifter.
PM or e mail me and I'll send a pic or dimensions of the ballsocket/lifter assembly
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! well I guess that answers that($#*&) there went that idea. Thank you Al before I made a big mistake. If you don't mind could you e-mail me the pics and measurments. I talked to a guy today and what he did was take out the old rod and bored the hole and pressed in a chromemoly cut to fit pushrod. This makes it one step close to starting the build. Thank's all!
Best regards, Julio Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: