Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bees at the junkyard
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Bees at the junkyard Reply with quote

Heres my story of the day. I went to the local VW repair/junkyard today in search of some parts. There is a small 2 story building in the back, the bottom level being a storage barn and the top was built to be an apartment. It was never finished, so it's houses a bunch of new aftermarket fenders and some of the better body parts and seats. Theres a ricketly metal-rung latter, attached to rotted wood that you have to climb to get in. Total deathtrap. I needed a headliner board for the new owner of a Rabbit I sold, so I went to grab one. As I tryed to slide it out from between some doors and fenders, I awakened a large nest of angry bees that must have been on the floor somewhere. All of a sudden they were swarming everywhere, probably at least 100 of them Shocked I ran away as fast as I could. To the back of the building. Cornered, fuck! No way out of this one. I crouched in an old bathtub and prayed they wouldnt find me. The only window was small and rusted shut, so the only way out was past the bees. I waited about an hour until the swarm settled down, and planned my route out. The only route was through the fenders and seats, past a spider web with a very large spider in the center, over the fallen door to the building (about a foot from the bees)and out. I said a prayer, knocked down the web, and ran the obstacle coarse as quick as possible out the opening, and managed to run down the ladder without falling on the pile of rear windows and rusty hoods below.

I only got stung 3 times on the ankles, and I consider myself VERY lucky. By that time it was dark and I had to gather up all my parts by flashlight. The new owner of my car will have to find his own damn headliner Laughing I got a Ghia bumper and 2 armfuls of parts for $10 because the guy working there is a really cool and felt bad. My right ankle hurts like a bitch, but at least I got free VW parts!
73VwBus73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha dang luckily the swarm didnt get you. theres was a nest of wasps in my house one day 3 came down and got me... hurts like a bitch
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks - I got swarmed by bees when I was at church camp as a kid...really no fun...
The local VW junkyard in my parents' home town was guarded by attack sheep...pretty mean, too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73VwBus73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap, today i was about to go in my backyard when i heard a loud buzzing, sure enough a swarm of bees ! Shocked
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hit up our local junk yard and was poking around in some vintage german metal. Look in the trunk and just about fell over backwards when a swarm of wasps suprised me.
nik
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Wasps love busses Reply with quote

I had a 61 Single that the DPO had forgot to put the air flap spring in (so much of rebuilt 1600 DP)

Anyway I parked out back and traded for a 40HP that I thought would be better in it anyway. It had been there about three weeks. So, went out started to push it back to the garage and was in my shorts, it was august.

Ouch, ouch, pain coming out of my legs Anyway, looked down and had a nice swarm of wasps attacking me. I did the reverse 100 backup in about 10 seconds.

Lesson, every VW I find in a field or has been sitting awhile, I now tap the body to see if any critters come out.
Ms. Priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to find my property markers a couple of years ago and since we didn't have any luck, we took a piece of rope the length of the east side of the yard, tied it to the marker we knew, and started walking it thru the underbrush towards the unknown corner.

I stepped on something squishy by an old tree stump and asked my best friend what "that noise" was (a loud humming). She said, "what noise?" and as I looked down, I was standing on an underground nest. My feet were covered and they were headed up my pant legs and my baggy sweatshirt. We both took off running, she ran into the house with bees all over her, the dog got bitten, and I headed for her 2.5-year old. I was running across the yard shedding clothes, grabbed the kid and jumped in the car.

My best friend and I are both allergic to bees, she had about 8 stings, I had 4 or 5. We both popped Benadryl and headed to the Clinic that I worked at about 30 minutes before closing on a Friday. (The kind of walk-ins I loved to get when I worked there.) My poor co-worker looked nervous as hell watching us in the waiting room fearful that we were going to stop breathing.

I hate bees.
'56 Single Cab Survivor
'82 Kaw 440 LTD; '03 SV1000S
OG JHC Member No. 65, Team Photographer
Wanted: Eriba Puck for my 21. Know of one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not uncommon down here in Oklahoma or Texas to be working on your car and find a mud dauber's nest. They like to build them in vehicles that are dormant for long periods of time. The last few cars I parted out had nests in the engine, brake drums, and all over underneath. This T34 I parted out had a nest in the door and still some wasps in there! Got some wasp killer and sprayed it in there quick. That was the only time I actually found some still in their residence.
bus-deciple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some hornets in the cheesy camping set up in my panel.They startled me so bad that I fell out of the cargo doors on to my but Confused .One gave me a sting on my neck.So I dry Iced em Twisted Evil
Sylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Yellow Jacket Reply with quote

Three weeks ago I am at the local pull a part, taking off a Westy pop top. I push the top up, and something lands on my arm, PLOP. Look down, and there is a yellow jacket about 3" long, scrabling to turn over and do it to me. Boy did I ever flap my arms and dive out of that Bus!!! Didn't get me, and my friend picks up a part of a car and splats him!!!! Biggest jacket I have ever seen!!!

Oct. 22, 1929. 8:30 pm. The ship is making water fast. We have turned around and headed for Milwaukee. Pumps are working, but sea gate is bent in and can't keep the water out. Flicker is flooded. Seas are tremendous. Things look bad. Crew roll is about the same as last payday. A.R. Sadon, Purser.
low67sqaure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought an 80 rabbit from my 2nd cousin in sept. 04. it hadnt been drivin since dec. 2000. as i was tearing bumpers and other stuff off it i found a bees nest behind the bumper and right below thw cowl in the engine compartment.
*67 sqaureback(slammed)
*80 rabbit(slammed)
*65 bug(slammed 5" narrowed beam/drop spindles) *current project*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fifty8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasps are not too fond of carb cleaner. Valuable tool if you find an active nest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle took a dbl barrel 12 gauge to a wasp nest up in the gable end of the house- took care of the nest real fast; took him weeks to repair the roof...
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only critters I have encountered at the salvage yard is black widows, those big red ants, a bobcat, and a Javelina. We have wasps from time to time at work and I am also a fan of using spray carb cleaner to take them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: