Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas heater fuel line route
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: gas heater fuel line route Reply with quote

Am getting ready to reinstall my gas heater ('73 Thing). Am replacing all the fuel lines and filter. My original fuel line entered the heater area from under the car through a grommet in a hole about 7/8 inch just to the left side of the outside air inlet pipe. Also the two wires to the heater from the on/off switch pass through this same hole. Is that correct? It seems that places the wire and fuel line very close to the heater exhaust pipe. Obviously I can position the line and wire "out of the way" of the exhaust yet they will still be very close at some point. Was thinking of placing a thin metal shield around the exhaust in that area but not touching the pipe itself. But the fuel line and wire are still very close at the point where they exit the grommet hole.Am I doing this correctly?
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the fuel line in my '73: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=86299

Both the fuel line and wires to the fuel pump/solenoid run through the same hole. As far as I know, that is how it came stock (I have not modified it, but I cannot attest to the owners before me). Adding a heat shield would be a wise thing, but I don't see it as necessary.

If your BN4 is adjusted properly, it should automatically cut off the fuel supply (and thus exstinguish the combustion) long before exhaust temps reach dangerous levels.

Hope that helps.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Boy a single picture goes a long way! That is how mine looks and I'll just go with it. Had re-thought the shield anyway: rather than shield the exhaust pipe (complicated), I'll just make a small metal shield over the hold and the line and wires. Maybe 2" X 3". thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: