Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good Riding Tires for Thing????
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Good Riding Tires for Thing???? Reply with quote

I just put 205/70/14 Continentals and I have two tired that are out of round and consequently I feel this bump,bump,bump, bump until the tires get warmed up and then it is bearable. I am taking them back and put something else on. With the short wheelbase and stiff suspension does anyone have any suggestions for a good riding tire. I do just local driving and never off road. Thanks.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One item to watch is tire pressure. Most tire shops will act like its a normal car and put way too much pressure in the tires. Make sure they are not overinflated and the ride will improve. As an illustration, I once had a Jeep with tires big enough to hold up a Suburban. The store installed them and put in 35 psi. It was a kidney killer. I ended up running 20 on the highway and as low as 7 off road. Much more livable.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a set of cheap, soft compound 185r14 tires on the 74 initially because I was just about broke at the time. I balanced them well,put the four straightest wheels on the Thing, (the slightly bent wheel is the spare) running 25 psi in the front and 32 in the rear on the highway and they have given me a smooth ride. They arent half bad on the dirt either, but in alot of mud don't have enough tread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Riding Tires for Thing???? Reply with quote

jbyoung wrote:
I just put 205/70/14 Continentals and I have two tired that are out of round and consequently I feel this bump,bump,bump, bump until the tires get warmed up and then it is bearable. I am taking them back and put something else on. With the short wheelbase and stiff suspension does anyone have any suggestions for a good riding tire. I do just local driving and never off road. Thanks.

That sounds to me like a bias ply tire. Bias ply tires get a flat spot every time the car sits for an extended period, and it wont go away until the tire heats up. Dump the bias tires, and go to a radial tire ALL the way around. Dont mix bias and radials. You can get 4 radial tires in that size around where Im at for about $125 total. Just get 4 new Radial Tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm riding on a set of Kelly Metrics. The ride is great, and the tread is fairly close to stock. Not that expensive, and I'm pleased with them.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lower end of the price scale, I've got (Walmart) 215-70-15's on my favorite car. They are called Super Sport. The are fairly off road looking, taller, and weigh in there with that much sought after aggressive stance (I love that term for tires!). They are good in mud and okay on the highway. I paid $65 each mounted on (cheap but utilitarian) American 5-spoke rims. The Walmart tires are not the envy of your BF's, Kelly's, etc. but I am well pleased overal after 5k plus miles. It looks like they are good for at least 25k. At my rate that's three years and likely time to get new rubber anyway. Just my 2c.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tire's did the thing come with stock? Bucky
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that 185 r 14's are the stock size.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I've heard as well, but what Kind, you know name brand and model. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: