Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idaho Thingers...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Idaho Thingers... Reply with quote

I noticed alot of conversations about things in the Idaho area. I just purchased a thing and live in Idaho. I am getting it ready for the winter. Its a 74 and I don't know if I will need to put a gas heater in it. as you other Idaho people know it gets reallly cold up here. So, my question is: Does the stock heater get hot enough or will I need a gas heater in it for the winter?
jacklegged thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: heaters and carpet Reply with quote

i have heard bad stuff about gas heaters. the stock heater through the heat exchangers can be sufficient for winter. my thing has no heater at all. the previous owner took all the heater parts out when he rebuilt the engine. i am going to by an aftermarket blower motor and an electric heater and install it in the trunk. if you plan on using the stock heater i would suggest checking your heating system out thoroughly to ensure all parts work properly, especially the control arm for the louvers in the fan housing. if those arent working properly, come summer time you could have cooling problems.
i think you can buy preformed carpet kits for things online in jcwhitney. im going to have my whole tub, trunk, wheel wells and undercarriage rhino-lined.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you should consider buying your Thing stuff from these guys.....in business just for Thingers. They have it all:
1. Things Unlimited http://www.thingsunlimited.net/
2. The Thing Shop http://www.thethingshop.com/

On the fresh air heater in Idaho ('74 Thing), you may wish to travel with a portable cataletic heater (Coleman) to avoid freezing. It works when the fresh air heater just ain't enough. Adding a BN-4 to a '74 is costly and a lot of trouble to get right, I am told.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: