Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what the hell is "sea foam green?"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksman66 wrote:
Slowlow_70bugg wrote:
Thats the sharpest Ghia Ive ever seen!!!

This (well in my eyes) is the sharpest Ghia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

those wheels and that color belong on a honda, I hope they did not ruin a real 58-59 ghia vert..excuse me I have to go puke :-&
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1962 OG L380 paint, Turquoise
Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camerod wrote:
those wheels and that color belong on a honda, I hope they did not ruin a real 58-59 ghia vert..excuse me I have to go puke :-&

I don’t want to get off the topic, but it is candy apple red and I don’t think that I have ever seen that on a Honda. One more thing, some people like stock and some others like to do things their way. But to go off and say that someone’s hard work makes you puke and that you think it is ruined...well first off that is sad and low class. I bet you cry when you go to Octobugfest. So how about you appreciate it for anything that it is worth, for all you had to say it you don’t like that style. And no it is not my ghia. But I do have to say that the guy did a great job.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksman66 wrote:
Slowlow_70bugg wrote:
Thats the sharpest Ghia Ive ever seen!!!

This (well in my eyes) is the sharpest Ghia.

Hmmm.. I may have to reconsider my previous statement! That car is slick, and I love the focal wheels Smile

But I still think the "seafoam" Ghia is the sharpest STOCK one Ive ever seen! Wink
Volksman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. For a stock ghia, that is one of the sharpest ones I have seen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwman1949
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: 64 bug Reply with quote

my 64 bug, its called seafoam green...

but I also like Bahama Blue,they look very close to each other..how do we add a picture in here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug Reply with quote

vwman1949 wrote:

but I also like Bahama Blue,they look very close to each other..how do we add a picture in here.

My grandparents' 1964 Beetle that they bought brand new in '64 from the factory (in Germany!) was SeaFoam Green...I really would like to see the picture of your '64.
Here's how to post pictures: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
vwman1949 wrote:

My grandparents' 1964 Beetle that they bought brand new in '64 from the factory (in Germany!) was SeaFoam Green...I really would like to see the picture of your '64.
Here's how to post pictures: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

There is no Sea Foam Green color from VW.

A '64 could be Bahama Blue, which people have said above looks similar.

From what I have heard in person, people think the VW color Turquoise is also Sea Foam Green. This is also mentioned above.

If you do a Google Search for Sea foam green Ford you can see the original Ford color, which looks like Bahama Blue to me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Seafoam Green" name has been used by many manufacturers for many years

Here is the early 90's GM version

Seafoam Green 43/WA9663
Used on GM S/T series small trucks and utilities.

FYI, it is not really like any VW original color. Lighter and brighter than Turquoise.

This is an old scanned photo from 1992

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

Here is my bahama blue beetle, "Lady:

http://kostopocars.webs.com/vw/lady/photos/lady15.html
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

L380 Turquoise is what must people I have talked to confuse for Sea Foam Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

I painted my 64 L380 and many people tell me "oh sea foam green i love it" but its turquoise. I know its a shade off of the og L380 so maybe thats why?

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

Julio_Arcos123 wrote:
I painted my 64 L380 and many people tell me "oh sea foam green i love it" but its turquoise. I know its a shade off of the og L380 so maybe thats why?

nice! I grew up with an l380 61 Bug, Dad bought it new, I got it from him when in high school, still have it. little worse for wear in the interior department, but still my favorite color.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

SFG is a term coined to VWs by lazy people who care not for the German-translated but proper term. Same way people say "chrome" yellow and "midnight" blue for anything close to those hues. Any time someone uses a non-VW color name to describe what they are seeing- it's a way of understanding the general color tone and is usually far from what VW had in mind. Folks are wrong about your L380 beetle not because the shade is off- but rather their minds are off in secondary color wheel-ville.

Folks here screw up "Diamant" green all the time- thinking it translates as diamond as in the gem- rather than metallic. "Sealing wax red" is a great one- because most people under the age of 60 have no idea what "sealing wax" is- much less how spot on the color of red implied really is. The list goes on and on.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lonewolf63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind that paint fades and also alot of these cars you see online have been repainted and they may not be original vw colors. I paint cars for a living and there are alot of early vw colors that you just cant get, the formula for some colors aren't available. So alot of people pick a color based on color chips at they're local paint shop and that's probably why there are so many variants of the same color cars. Hopefully this helps.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

I remember reading that the VW Jolly 1960 prototype built by Karmann in Germany was painted L313 "Reed Green" (German: Schilfgruen), though some color chips show that color as much more "olive" than shown here.
sirmatador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

This is a very old thread, but I just bought a 1967 bug and was wondering the color. The previous owner inherited this bug and didn't know much about it. So im not sure if this is an original color. I need to replace a fender and the hood which need to be painted. This looks like a Sea Foam Green to me.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

sirmatador wrote:
...I just bought a 1967 bug and was wondering the color. The previous owner inherited this bug and didn't know much about it. So im not sure if this is an original color.

It is similar to some original colors that VW offered, namely Bahama Blue, but that shade of green (nor Bahama Blue or anything similar) on your car was not offered on '67s, or anything later. As alluded to above, it's probably just something similar that someone liked that they picked from a chip and had mixed for that car.
sirmatador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

I found this color that I think might be it. L513 Sea Green. I think this might be a pre '67 color, but I ordered a touch up pen to see how well it matches. If this doesnt match is there a way I can still get matching paint using a chip from my car? Id hate to have to repaint the whole bug just to get the new hood and fender to match.

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: what the hell is "sea foam green?" Reply with quote

Take it to Dales Auto Paint in Colorado Springs. Ask for Len.

Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: