Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering/ toe on '84
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingo
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Steering/ toe on '84 Reply with quote

;84 Westy steers like a wobbly drunk...weaving. It sort of reminds me of an older Bus i had with badly adjusted toe-in. Also the right front tire is severly worn on the outside edge..i.e. the tire is literally being dragged.

Does this sound like toe-in needs to be measured and adjusted. Its been a while, so does anyone have suggestions on how to do this procedure ??

Thanks
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check for play throughout the front end - including the steering and even wheel bearings. If something is loose and wobbly that will also cause those problems. Bentley has procedures for adjusting the front end - just check everything out while you have it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take it to a front end shop to have it all done.

Dangerous like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dingo
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i took it to a shop, i would learn NOTHING.

Now that i look at it from the front, it does not seem to be a toe-in issue...its more like the Van is 'listing' (like a ship) on that right front wheel .i.e. instead of the wheel being 90 degrees to the ground, the top part of the wheel is leaning out, and the bottom of tire is pushed in.

Would this be Camber or Caster or some other ?? and what would most likely cause this ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: