Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

overheating wesfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilango13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: overheating wesfalia Reply with quote

I changed the waterpump on my 85' westfalia. I thought it would solve the overheating problem. When I removed the water pump I notice a lot of rust, so I thougth that with the new water pump, I would have a cooler engine.

However, when I strated the car and drove it for about ten miles, it started overheating. I turn on the AC to get the radiator fan going, and that seemed to help.

I want to know how to fill the cooling system with coolant fluid correctly. There seems to be a vacum or air in the system.

Does anyone know how to completely fill the entire system. I even tried putting coolant through the radiator. I noticed some pipes have air in them. Is it normal for water rubber pipes to have some air in them.

Thanks for the advice.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should not be air in the cooling system. Check the Bentley for procedures for bleeding the coolant system. From what I've heard, the earlier ones like yours are harder to bleed than the 2.1s, which are an easy bleed from the front. I'm not sure of the details, though. You also may want to flush out all the old coolant if there was rust & crud in the system from the old pump. That will definitely help. When I had a huge leak & air bubbles in mine it got very hot very quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from www.vanagonparts.com

Quote:
Refilling Cooling System - Gasoline (Water-cooled)
*For reference only, your vehicle may be different.
1. Set heater controls to maximum heating position.
2. Open control valve for auxiliary heater under rear seat.
3. Remove radiator grille.
4. Raise vehicle approx. 15 3/4" (40cm) at front under the cross-member with floor jack and wooden support.
5. Open bleeder valve on radiator.
6. Open bleeder valve in engine compartment.
7. Fill cooling system via expansion tank until tank is filled to the brim and remains full.
8. Run engine @2000 rpm, top up tank until coolant flows at radiator breather valve with NO air bubbles.
9. Add coolant until tank is full and close tank with cap.
10. Turn off ignition & restart engine after about 20 seconds.
11. At about 2000 rpm oen cap of expansion tank.
12. Close radiator bleeder valve when coolant flows out.
13. Add coolant until tank is full and close tank with cap.
14. Close bleeder valve in engine compartment.
15. Turn off engine.
16. Check coolant level in expansion tank and top up.
17. Close expansion tank with cap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have to get all the air out PERIOD.
If you bleed it and you are certain that it is all out, then you have to look at other stuff.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I have the radiator hose loose or the front bleed valve open, I NEVER go thru all that German BS about bleeding. The system will self bleed over several hot- cold cycles if there are no leaks. Open up the bleed valve on the thermostat housing- counterclockwise tillit stops. Of course, you need to fill the system fom the pressure (expansion tank), first before starting, and then, while running at about 2000 rpm. Then-keep up the rpm-(If you slow down, the water backs up and runs on the ground)with your 3rd hand, put the pressure cap on tight!
I like to run it for a few minutes to let the bubbles at the thermostat get forced over to the expansion tank. then shut it off, hook up the second (burp) tank and close the thermostat bleed valve.
I use this method on all 5 of mine and others too. So it works for me.Raise up the front, take out the grille? Not me. Even after I had the engine out on my 91.
Al
69 doublecab, vanagons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I run a 230,000 mile 1.9 GL from Central Cal to Phx, AZ twice a month. In the 110 degree Arizona heat the other day, at 70mph, probably with the original radiator, the 1.9 let me know that the Germans were still in charge...

It burped at a fuel stop. Anti freeze blew out all over the fuel pad.

I let it cool down a bit, poured 2 gallons of 100% anti freeze in the back, ran it a bit, closed the system up, and headed east bound.

Bleeding? What is that! As long as the radiator is not dry, I've found it a moot point to try and follow the procedure to burp out all the air...

just fill and run... Shocked
chilango13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice and technical print!
chilango13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting really pissed off because my westfalia still overheating. I'm still unable to bleed the fuckin' air out of the system even though I tried everything the Bently said and all the technical advice I have recieved.

O well. I'll just put it (westfalia) away and drive something else until I figure out a way to fix this problem.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all the air out and it's still overheating, or is it just not bleeding successfully? 2 different problems...if the air isn't bleeding out, there may be a small leak somewhere that is sucking air into the system - I've heard of that happening...I know how frustrating these beasts can be...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilango13 wrote:
I'm getting really pissed off because my westfalia still overheating. I'm still unable to bleed the fuckin' air out of the system even though I tried everything the Bently said and all the technical advice I have recieved.

O well. I'll just put it (westfalia) away and drive something else until I figure out a way to fix this problem.

You may have a more serious issue and the engine could be "pumping" air into the system from a crack or a blown head gasket etc...?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait til its STONE COLD, fire it up, if you see bubbles in the res tank, you have a blown head gasket.

My guess is a cracked head Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: