Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Brand of Battery Do You Use in Your Ghia?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: What Brand of Battery Do You Use in Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I usually use AC Delco, as they were rated high in Consumer Reports. Kmart used to carry them at a resonable price, and they last for years. I cannot seem to find a local (Seattle) source for AC Delco batteries, and did a lot of searches - and found some pretty poor web sites.

Also, does anyone know the recommened CCA's for a standard type one 1600 engine?

Thanks

lemke'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an Interstate in there now, biggest one I could fit in. If I run out of gas, I can do freeway speed on the starter motor alone.

Incidentally, (I don't mean to hijack the thread) I bought some stuff from Germany, and the company I was dealing with, vw-teile.com, also sell repro batteries. As Ghia owners expose their battery anytime they open their decklid, I'm surprised no one's imported anything similar to North America. Anyone know of anything?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ACSwede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I run out of gas, I can do freeway speed on the starter motor alone.

LMAO!! Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are cool looking batteries Jason. Shipping would be a monster though.

I'm trying to get a nice VWoA case with the logo on the front, and I found an old battery repairman in Iowa that will put all new insides in my case for about $75.

In the meantime I bought a repro battery from Wolfsburg West which was a total failure. Only lasted 6 months.

Now I have an Optima, and those are things of beauty except they're so small they don't stand up in the engine compartment. I had my local sheet metal shop make me a metal box the same size as the original VW battery (except a little higher to clear the optima) and they made a compartment inside the box for the battery. The rest of the compartment can hold a can of oil and a spare fanbelt and stuff for emergencies. Hopefully when I'm done it will look pretty close to original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964VW
Samba Member

Location: I live where people chew dip,just past the sticks...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a TurboStart made by New Castle batt company,works just fine.
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's an Everstart... we pulled it out of our 1976 Dodge Dart Swinger and threw it in the ghia when we parked it.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery I used in my 65 vert was the one from one of my busses at the time - which is just the biggest/most powerful one that will fit from Advance...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Superghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optima yellow top for me
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Thanks everyone.

I found this web page: http://shopping.yahoo.com/premium/consumerreports/silver.html?id=95700426

This site indicates that most batteries are made by just three companies.

Jason, is the interstate battery maintenance-free? I had an interstate in the 90's and it was one of the best batteries around, but it required water. I just got spoiled by maintenance-free ones.

So, I still would like to know - does anyone know the required Cold cranking amps a battery should have for a 12-volt type one engine?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akeyzoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the optima 75/35 BTW. Pretty much their smallest battery. Like 33 lbs. It is relatively light, has more than enough oomph, will last longer, WILL NOT LEAK!!!!

$99 at costco
L478_62_Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run an Optima red top. Turns over like a mofo. There is no other battery that can compare to an Optima.
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exide battery here, i believe exide is one of the big three.
the.fordhams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the joys of being 6V is the choice is very narrow and non existent in certain areas.

Hey L478 that is the coolest color bug to have - imho. I got married on a Beryl green bug. When you want to sell it pm me..

Sorry for hijacking,

Thx,

Al
67 SO42 welding project
03 Eurovan Weekender
08 Touareg 2 V6

WANTED :
Bob King VW dealer Wilmington NC dealer tag surround and any Literature for 03 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akeyzoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optima makes a 6V battery BTW.

Chris
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemke' wrote:
Well, Thanks everyone.

I found this web page: http://shopping.yahoo.com/premium/consumerreports/silver.html?id=95700426

This site indicates that most batteries are made by just three companies. *snip*

Heh, my dad, a former automotive design engineer, has been telling people that for years. Problem is, no one believes him. Also, the (physical) size of the battery doesn't matter, but some people freak out when they find a huge battery in a small car. They seem to equate physical size with the output of the battery Rolling Eyes

Some people upgrade their 6V systems to 8V or even 9V. My dad converted his old Ford tractor to an 8V because 6V are more difficult to find.
reverie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold cranking amps is not a factor to consider in Seattle, unless you have a high-compression monster motor. Seriously, in the winter, we'll have maybe a couple of days with snow on the ground when you shouldn't be out in the Ghia anyway because of all the stupid drivers smashing into each other. Any maintenance-free battery of your choice will do fine.

Cool
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reverie wrote:
Cold cranking amps is not a factor to consider in Seattle, unless you have a high-compression monster motor. Seriously, in the winter, we'll have maybe a couple of days with snow on the ground when you shouldn't be out in the Ghia anyway because of all the stupid drivers smashing into each other. Any maintenance-free battery of your choice will do fine.

Cool

Hey, thanks. That's good to know.
L478_62_Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fordhams. We really love our Beryl Green beetle. My wife would kill me if I ever sold it. It's still wearing the original paint!
sideshow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optima red top, under the rear window.
So I kinda needed a non-vented battery for "inside" stowage.
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Those are cool looking batteries Jason. Shipping would be a monster though.

I'm trying to get a nice VWoA case with the logo on the front, and I found an old battery repairman in Iowa that will put all new insides in my case for about $75.

In the meantime I bought a repro battery from Wolfsburg West which was a total failure. Only lasted 6 months.

Now I have an Optima, and those are things of beauty except they're so small they don't stand up in the engine compartment. I had my local sheet metal shop make me a metal box the same size as the original VW battery (except a little higher to clear the optima) and they made a compartment inside the box for the battery. The rest of the compartment can hold a can of oil and a spare fanbelt and stuff for emergencies. Hopefully when I'm done it will look pretty close to original.

Hey Coad, so you found someone that could overhaul an original battery? If so, I would like to get the contact info from you as I have the factory installed battery for my '73 that I would like to refurbish. Also, I would like to find out what batteries will fit in my '73 using the original mounting? Anybody have any ideas on this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: