Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

top frame
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: top frame Reply with quote

Hello all,

My top frame header is bent. Does anyone have any experience in fixing them? The way I see it, I could either grind off the welds and remove just the header. Or, I could cut off the side rails and then reweld the top together. thanx
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where it is bent. Just a few spot welds and the whole header bow comes off. Mine was dented on the front side of the header and I cut out the backside with a thin disc in my grinder, straightened the dents out, then welded it back together.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is bent on the bottom/ underside of the header. I found one that I can swap out but don't know what would be the best way to fix the problem. So should I just grinf the welds out instead of cutting side rails of the frame? If I do grind it out, do I have to be carefull of anything in particular (angles of the header). Thanx for your input in this, as you can tell I'm new to this.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be sure that the bottom is flat and straight so it seals tight to the windshield frame. Is the top material still on it and in good shape? Or are you replacing the top material also?
Vw4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to straight it up as much as you can and the use one of those reinforcement kits for frame that they sell out there...from the Thing Shop.
http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=181rk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a new top for it. The bottom of the header is bent pretty bad. I took the frame to a local vw shop and they said it can't be fixed. So I found a header that seems to be in good shape. The guy I got it from said that instead of removing all of the spot welds, it maybe easier to remove the header from the side rails instead. I guess I don't know if its easier to take the header from the side or to grind off the spot welds.

Ermerson when you took off the spot welds was that pretty easy or was it hard to get into those little hard to get spots?
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The header bow does come off the framework pretty quick. As far as the little spot welds, after I made the cuts, I just bent the piece back and forth and most of the spot welds popped apart. If you have another header bow just replace it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: