Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

interior jobs...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: interior jobs... Reply with quote

I am proud to say I "thinger". I have been wanting one for as long as I can remember...

MY!! thing is now in the shop getting painted. The question I have is I am looking at putting carpet on the interior. I don't see many things in the gallery with carpet in them. Does anyone have any suggestions....

Thank you
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a few bulk yards of good auto carpet from an upholstery supply co.

Cut out the pieces to fit and then have a shop "bind" the edges and add a heel pad etc.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out www.vwupholstery.com

I have the TMI carpet and mats from www.thingsunlimited.net
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73VWThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hi, how does the carpet kit fit from TMI? Reply with quote

I am thinking about putting the TMI carpet kit into my 73 Thing.

Let me know, and maybe a few pics would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind when you carpet your Thing is that you'll have to be mindful of potential moisture buildup between the rug and the pan. Certainly no big deal if you live in a dry climate, or keep your Thing garaged & drive it on sunny days.

Speaking from experience though, I know that when it rains, stock Things tend to collect water - especially if you happen to be caught driving in the rain! When I lived on the east coast, my wife and I ended up driving from Vermont to Connecticut on a rainy weekend. Aside from doing the "bucket brigade"during our drive, we had about 3 inches of water in the Thing by the time we got home. Thank god for shop vacs!

Anyway, I was glad to have the stock rubber mats in there at the time, but my experience is probably not going to be like yours. Just thought I'd mention it, though, so you don't have to deal with it. Good luck with the carpeting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pans are covered by POR 15, Herculiner, and then the carpet.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be installing the carpet kit in this weekend. Thank you, for all your inputs. For those of you that have carpets, should I lay down an insulating cushion under the carpet?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: