Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Seat Cable Removal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

I have never dealt with a 1967 until now. There is this funky cable that runs from the door to the seats. I have the seat removed from the cable, but how in blazes does the cable disconnect from the door? This car is pretty thrashed, so cutting isn't out of the question, but I prefer the proper approach.
GhiaNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me check when I get home. I have 2 67s; one without cables and one with. If I remember, the one without looked like it had a part chiseled off the door post, obvisously not the preferred method. Are you selling the cables? PM me if so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dadof8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

I have a 67 and was wondering what those tabs were on the door posts...until now that is! So can you tell me how those cables are routed to the seats? I can't wait to get home and see if the dang things are hooked up, or if they're even there at all (insert crossed fingers). Those have to be extremely hard to find.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=107521
GhiaNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to take some photos and post them this weekend. Verbal description: The tab in the door post pushes against a spring-loaded lever that is attached to a sleeved control cable. The lever, spring, and forward end of the cable are mounted to a small plate that is tack-welded to the body under the forward carpet panels, right next to the vertical riser tubes for the heat up to the defroster vents. The plate is about 2/3 of the way up the tube, roughly level with the tab in the door post. It's a little rectangular raised "box" (about 1" tall by .5" wide) with a slot cut in the lower lip to provide a seating surface for the spring, but still allow the cable to be slid in and out for removal/replacement. On my first 67, the only thing left was marks where the "box" had been chiseled off.

The operating cables ran under the front carpets, taking a sharp turn along the front of the seat rails, then another turn along the outside of each inner seat rail. This end of the cable had a hook in the sleeve to slide over a post on the seat frame, and an eye in the cable to attach to a pivoting hook on the seat that would lock over a bar on the seat back. The cable mechanism only had a travel of about 3/4", so I imagine they were not terribly reliable. Any slop or a broken cable, and you wouldn't be able to tip the seats forward.

They aren't impossible to find. In four years or so of scrounging, I've found two great sets, one poor set, and the set Norman has here. Unless you're going for a show-winner original, I wouldn't lose sleep or big cash. They're just another one of the hundred or so weird things about 67s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dadof8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details. I pulled the carpet when I got home and found the spring assemblies but the cable has been lopped off on both sides (crap).
I will look for a set, only because I'm anal that way.
I'm actually looking for a '67 project car that someone has given up on.
I have a lot of cool stuf on my ghia but the pan and body are possibly too far gone with rust.
I'm hoping to find just a shell and pan combo that's not too far to pick up and doesn't cost too much Wink
Thanks again for the excellent post!
DYNOARNO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Can someone show us pictures of this cable or send us a copy of the page of the manual workshop?

Thanks.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

Are you trying to remove or install the cables?
DYNOARNO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

I don't have these cables in my 67.
Then I'm trying to find the original parts, or to make something like the original system...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I'm trying to find the original parts, or to make something like the original system...

If you are going for an original restoration...its correct. If not its a lot of work for future frustration when you cant tilt the seat forward. They discontinued it the following year because it was complicated and it didnt work well. Either way, Good Luck. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Seat Cable Removal Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

If you are going for an original restoration...its correct. If not its a lot of work for future frustration when you cant tilt the seat forward. They discontinued it the following year because it was complicated and it didnt work well. Either way, Good Luck. Very Happy

Oh they work just fine.

So what if you have to squeeze your hand down between the seat bottom and the center tunnel so you can release the latch when the door pillar cable fails to do so - minor inconvenience. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: