Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'87 Vanagon won't start hot, drips gas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulcrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: '87 Vanagon won't start hot, drips gas Reply with quote

Howdy all,
I was hoping I some of you might help me figure this out, although I realize these things are tough to diagnose. The latest suggestion has been to replace the fuel injectors. One can get them tested, no? I am a learning novice and appoligize for my lack of knowledge. It is an '87 2.1L with automatic trans.
The van would start fine if it had not been running for a while (i.e. cold). But if i attempted to start it after if had been recently running, the starter would turn, but the engine would not catch. Oddly, while this happened, the needle of the tachometer would "bounce" up and down, or sometimes just bounce up to the top of the scale and stick there until I turned the key back to the off position. After trying to start it for a bit, gasoline would drip from the driver side manifold area, and it would be flooded. Occcasionally the engine would almost catch, and if I was especially persistant (pumping the gas pedal), and it was not too soon after it was last running, it would turn over. For a while this problem was steady, and I would have to wait about 30 minutes after a run to start it again. In the last week or so before it stopped altogether, I would have to wait more like twelve hours to start it.

So currently I have this van in Portland and am considering selling it. If anyone here is interested in taking on this problem, It is in great shape otherwise. 95,000 miles and zero rust. Contact me for more info if interested. Thanks for your time.

The Fulcrum

ps. What should I exect tp pay for a new starter?
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy if fuel is dripping or leaking, chances are not enough pressure is being developed to fire the injectors. Guessing you need to find the source of the leak quick like...

fires tend to make Vanagons look ugly, and melts necessary engine parts beyond hope.... Embarassed
Fulcrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the leak continues if it starts, but I can't be 100% sure. A lack of presure might be a problem with the fuel pump, I suppose. When I try to start the van currently, with a broken starter, so no cranking occurs, I hear a noise from the fuel pump when the key is turned. Is that normal?
brandon043
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: A vote for the fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Had a problem with mine loading up, smelling very much like raw fuel, also. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator (cylindrical part located in the middle of the top of the engine with four lines connected to it). One line is the inlet from the fuel pump, two lines in the sides are regulated outlets to the injectors, and a manifold vacuum line.

It was leaking fuel from the vacuum line (discovered when I pulled the line and saw it spew out).

My suggestion would be NOT to run the engine, but to pull off the vacuum line and see if there is evidence of fuel coming out the nipple.

It was a $90 part from my local import parts guy, and a relatively simple installation. Bought some new hose clamps, also.

Hope this helps.
Fulcrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out that piece. No fuel comming out of the vaccum line. It was kind of rotten, and I replaced it, but it still does the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: