Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Steering wheel on a '73 Square?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Early Steering wheel on a '73 Square? Reply with quote

Will the earlier steering wheel fit a '73? I'd like to swap the plastic wheel for one, and I've heard they switched to a different spline in mid '73 on type 1s, but what about type 3's? If they're different, is there any way to adapt them short of switching the whole column? I'd like to make use of the early wheel I found with an old-school black/white checkered wrap on it Cool
volksfahrer.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's will fit but not straight-away.

Problem 1: The arm to work the wipers stick out to far so the
steeringwheel won't slide on al the way.

Problem 2: The horn on a late model works trough a contact between the
column and the steeringwheel, on early cars the power runs
trough the collumn and grounds trough the middle of it.

I broke my wiper switch when I treid the old model steeringwheel on (OOPS!) I'm gonna work them trough a beetle style switch on the dash (looks factory)

I haven't found a way to work the horn trough the old style hornbutton.

66 panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the info Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69, at the Type3 Invasion last month in Hershey, PA there was a guy who had a '67 S-back and had a steering wheel from the 1973 SportsBug special edition super beetle. I asked him if he had to change the column and he said no, it fit on just fine wihout modifications. That wheel was for the "finer spline" Beetle steering columns which started late '72 or so. That wheel is hard to find, but as an alternative, how about a 3-spoke wheel from a Scirocco? Same spline as the later Super Beetle' might even fit your car. They are only a few bucks at swap meets. Get the center horn section too and fit the old VW horn button into it from your T3. You can buy a nice leather wrap-on steering whel cover to match your interior, and it is slightly smaller diameter than your T3's wheel (maybe only 1/2"). Sorry I can't provide a photo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: