Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vintage license plates
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: vintage license plates Reply with quote

I just scored a few low number Idaho license plates. now I have to get some more buses to match them. anyone else out there collect old license plates for their buses? these ones are single digit, but I also have a bunch of 3 digit ones that match model numbers like 211,231,241,151,141,311,911,etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, I just sent off the vanity plate form trying to use an og unissued '66 tn plate numbers. If it doesnt work, I'll just run it up front.
Saint76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't collect them but sure would like 1959 and 1967 Utah plates..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 1953 California commercial plates on my '53 Panel, 1955 California plates on my '55 Kombi, Victoria Australia plates on my '57 RHD Oval, and 1963 California Black plates on my 1960 Kombi that are still displaying their 1970 sticker which was the last time that Bus was registered for driving. In my opinion, having the proper era plates on a car is as big a detail as anything.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speed holes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, now those are some cool plates, but wheres #4?

What's the number/letter on the far left? I assume some sort of county or city designation?

I can only imagine walking into the DMV around here and trying to register plate #1, the place is stocked with idiots. They would be scratching their heads for weeks over that one.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed holes wrote:
Damn, now those are some cool plates, but wheres #4?

What's the number/letter on the far left? I assume some sort of county or city designation?

I can only imagine walking into the DMV around here and trying to register plate #1, the place is stocked with idiots. They would be scratching their heads for weeks over that one.

I have number 4, its just not in the picture. it and another number 7 are at the local license plate collector/restorers place

the small letter and number on the left side are county designations. in idaho, it is very important to get a good county. there are only a few counties that I consider to be acceptable.

my brother runs number 1 on his '67 bus (1A county). the V 1 plate is dmv clear, so I will be registering it soon to block out that number for myself. you can kind of see my brother's plate in this picture:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/20131.jpg
he has been pulled over by a cop that wanted to check out his plate
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running vintage plates on mine.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love collecting plates and have a set of virgin '63-'70 era black/gold plates for my camper if and when California ever gets their act together and let's us reassign them. Otherwise, they do make for good decoration. And, ugly as they might be, my camper still sports the original plates assigned to it when it came to California in '75.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 1960 GA tag on my truck. I carry the new tag inside the cab. Haven't had any problems so far. The lady at the tag office said I could run the old tag as long as I had the properly registered one in the truck. I would be a little weary to do so if I had reason to be concerned about being pulled over though.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like sharing parts with the family?
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running '64 MA plates on my '65 panel. I get as many comments about the plate from people as I do about the bus. Most people assume it's a '64. It was built in 10/64, but of course it's a '65. Massachusetts didn't make new plates every year, so the correct Year of Manufacture (YOM) plate for me to run is the '64.

I had to take the actual unrestored (this is very important) plates into the DMV for approval. They don't require me to put the reg. sticker on the plate, I just have to keep it with the paper registration. It also has to be insured as an antique to run the YOM plates. I think I paid about $10 for the matched set of plates on eBay. I also think that I could get away with just running a rear plate.

Nice collection you scored there Lind.

Here's the front of my panel showing the plate and an old plate holder frame I picked up at a swap meet somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 57 deluxe https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/154021.jpg is running it's original 56 plates with some 57 tabs i bought on ebay, and the original dealer frame.

the 64 deluxe is running it original pacific wonderland plates with it's og dealer plate frame.

the 57 panel is registered sepcial intrest so oregon is letting me run a yom plate i bought at a garage sale, and a local dealer frame. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/168844.jpg
http://www.oslp.org/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:

that picture is over two years old. however, you will have a little trouble calling me out on this one. so far, I have given my brother the following parts:
front emblem
headlights
windshields
side step
SW under dash gas heater
chrome dash ashtray
wolfsburg horn button
64-65 chrome inside front door handles
OG upholstery front seats
'67 only wiper assembly
12V fuel gauge
OG paint passenger door
OG front door panels
middle seat
middle seat plates, clamps & wingnuts.
floor mats front and rear
dome light lenses
OG rear seat
OG spare tire cover
spare tire nut
OG paint rims
fuel tank
engine
rear apron
taillights
rear bumper
1 license plate
license plate frame

some of those items were upgrades where I would sell the lower quality parts. he has never paid for part one from me for his bus. I have also installed most all of that crap and plenty of parts that I have forgotten about and done a bunch of other service to his bus.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Lind,

Since your brother hasn't paid for any of this stuff, does this mean you've got a significant "lien" on his bus? Technically you might even own more of the bus than he does... as long as he doesn't sell it someday when you aren't looking.

Is his the one on the right or left in the picture?

-Stan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
So Lind,

Since your brother hasn't paid for any of this stuff, does this mean you've got a significant "lien" on his bus? Technically you might even own more of the bus than he does... as long as he doesn't sell it someday when you aren't looking.

Is his the one on the right or left in the picture?

-Stan

its his bus. I gave him all of the stuff. in fact, you sold me the front seats that I gave him. it was pretty funny, he called me to tell me that a big package had arrived for me at his house. I told him that it was acctually for him. he was so stoked to get those seats. I don't think that he would ever sell it. most of the parts that I give him come out of package deals where I get a bunch of stuff and those parts just fall out of inventory. the stuff has value, but I keep my actual dollar investment into his bus pretty low. it just takes me a couple years to come up with a set of really nice original paint 14" bus rims with all of their hubcap clips when I am not willing to actually pay for anything of them. he is just lucky to be well connected, nobody else gets that good of deals. his bus is the '67 standard. the other one is my old 23-window.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
SHSC wrote:

that picture is over two years old. however, you will have a little trouble calling me out on this one. so far, I have given my brother the following parts:
front emblem
headlights
windshields
side step
SW under dash gas heater
chrome dash ashtray
wolfsburg horn button
64-65 chrome inside front door handles
OG upholstery front seats
'67 only wiper assembly
12V fuel gauge
OG paint passenger door
OG front door panels
middle seat
middle seat plates, clamps & wingnuts.
floor mats front and rear
dome light lenses
OG rear seat
OG spare tire cover
spare tire nut
OG paint rims
fuel tank
engine
rear apron
taillights
rear bumper
1 license plate
license plate frame

some of those items were upgrades where I would sell the lower quality parts. he has never paid for part one from me for his bus. I have also installed most all of that crap and plenty of parts that I have forgotten about and done a bunch of other service to his bus.

I was just bustin your balls. Only thing I noticed missing was the hubcaps and a rear bumper.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love old license plates. I wish I had some of the original plates for our cars.
The oldest plate our family has had in use, was a '63 Pacific Wonderland plate for the '63 t-bird we just sold to a guy in Roseberg (down in sothern Oregon). I didn't know you could still use them as long as you have collector car insurance.. interesting.
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Lind...you keep'n track of most of the stuff...uh...Your brother must have some connections...to something you don't...lol...That's kewl you help him out...I wish I could afford to get my brother a kewl..bus...or bug...I'll find one sooner or later...

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBobby wrote:
I love old license plates. I wish I had some of the original plates for our cars.
The oldest plate our family has had in use, was a '63 Pacific Wonderland plate for the '63 t-bird we just sold to a guy in Roseberg (down in sothern Oregon). I didn't know you could still use them as long as you have collector car insurance.. interesting.

state of oregon doesn't require collector car insurance. you can register your bus as a special intrest vehicle and use a year of manufature plate. it must be correct for the year, clear, and in good condition. the up side to special intrest registration is that it's a one time fee of $90(was $35 last year, who knows what it will be next year) good for as long as you own the bus. the down side is that it is supposed to be used in shows, club outings, etc only.

i've also been told you can run them as vanity plates, but i'm not interested in paying the insane anual registration for OR vanity plates so i never checked.
http://www.oslp.org/
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
I've got 1953 California commercial plates on my '53 Panel, 1955 California plates on my '55 Kombi, Victoria Australia plates on my '57 RHD Oval, and 1963 California Black plates on my 1960 Kombi that are still displaying their 1970 sticker which was the last time that Bus was registered for driving. In my opinion, having the proper era plates on a car is as big a detail as anything.

Isn't a Black plate the only technically correct plate for old CA car and therefore most proper Question I agree though that old vintage plates are the next best thing, they have the same DMV status as vanity plates.
My 56, 59,and 62 have black plates Very Happy , my 57 has the gold plate Smile , my 65 bus has a lipstick plate Evil or Very Mad
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: