Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What About These Bumpers?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: What About These Bumpers? Reply with quote

Check out these bumpers on this late model Ghia – I wonder where they came from…? Way better looking than stock, IMO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: BUmpers Reply with quote

Naahh - too straight. They don't follow the curves of the car...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard there is a way to mount 60's Volvo fenders to a late Ghia. Could this be that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johan_l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have also heard that... you mean bumpers and not fenders? in sweden there are plenty of old volvos, still every ghia I have seen uses either no bumper at all or original bumpers...

what volvo model would that be? Amazon, PV, Duett? Think they all have bigger bumpers... 140 models would be to wide...

looks like notch-back-bumpers to me?
Bastard Split window <-- Translate
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure those aren't Ghia bumpers with the overriders removed? I have seen people weld the three different sections together for a straight blade appearance.
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman wrote:
Are you sure those aren't Ghia bumpers with the overriders removed? I have seen people weld the three different sections together for a straight blade appearance.

Could be, but as you may know, the later (post 1971) Ghias had those snowplow bumpers. If they are modified Ghia bumpers, then they are obviously early ones.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have figured out where those bumpers came from. The pictures that I posted were found in the Ghia gallery, and I was too tired last night to notice that these pictures were taken at an event in Columbia, so I would bet that those are Brazilian Ghia bumpers. I recall seeing a picture in the now defunct Ghia-Gab from House of Ghia that had a photo of a Brazilian Ghia. Except for a few minor body and interior differences, it was virtually the same as a late sixties Ghia. If memory serves, it had these kinda bumpers. It also had the fake wood dash, but Ghia of Brazil took that look even farther – they extended the wood look to the door panels. I recall reading that in Brazil it was the common form of transportation for hookers. That gave the car a bad reputation in Brazil. I found a grainy picture of a Brazilian Ghia, but the bumpers still don't look quite the same:

Last edited by lemke on Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johan_l wrote:
have also heard that... you mean bumpers and not fenders?

Yup. Bumpers. When you get to be my age, mental lapses are apr for the course.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not the late Ghias ('72 on) use the same bumpers as the Type 3s? If so, then would not those blades in the photos be EARLY T3 ('69 and earlier) bumpers without the overriders?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: