Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

braking, car pulls left
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: braking, car pulls left Reply with quote

I've noticed the past week or two that when braking in my '59 daily driver, the car pulls to the left. Thoughts? Problems? How long can I safely ignore this one?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely cause is the right front brake hose is bad, thus no pressure to the wheel cylinder, so the car pulls left.

Change both hoses...

Or right wheel cylinder has leaked and shoes are wet with fluid and not gripping. Look for wetness on the backing plate or low fluid in resivoir, or pull drums and inspect.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inksling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakes might be out of adjustment. has the pedal travel increased

www.inksling.com
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Braking, car pulls left Reply with quote

About 8 months ago (before going to disc brakes) my car started pulling to the right. After disasambly I noticed the right front cylinder was leaking. That was my problem.

Good luck.
MikeJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your brakes are needing to be adjusted. After a while the shoes wear down and don't make contact like they used to. A bad brake hose on the opposite side might cause it to not brake if it's leaking. It could also be a swollen rubber brake line on the side that pulls.

That's my 2c
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a restriction in the lines or a failing/stuck wheel cylinder the shoes normally wear evenly from side to side... I'm still betting my first post is the cause, not adjustment alone.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubrida70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im not saying it might be his problem but last week mine needed an adjustment and it was fine but yea usually a wheel cylinder
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: