Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifter Orientation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Lifter Orientation Reply with quote

I wonder, If a small spot of weld was put on the Hydro lifter recess directly opposite of the bleed hole, would that work as a weight to keep the bleed hole oriented upright, which would solve our beloved tapping after the bus sits for any length of time?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camshaft spins the lifters in their bores, so no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the most annoying noise? I had a Subaru that had the same problem. No matter what you do, it won't go away. As far as buses go, I've never owned a hydraulic equipped type2 and I never plan to. Some people like hydraulic lifters, but that ticking would drive me mad. I'd rather just adjust my valves every so often.

http://www.animalsintheattic.com

Click to view image
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillz1 wrote:
Isn't that the most annoying noise? I had a Subaru that had the same problem. No matter what you do, it won't go away.

You gave up too soon. The valve train is actually a lot quieter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
chillz1 wrote:
Isn't that the most annoying noise? I had a Subaru that had the same problem. No matter what you do, it won't go away.

You gave up too soon. The valve train is actually a lot quieter.

I know, I know... Laughing mechanical valvetrain can be a little noisy, but it sure beats the sound of CLICK, CLACK, CLICK, CLACK...even if the horrendous noise only lasts 15 or 20 seconds. That Subaru was a curse. New Lifters, new oil pump, completely checked oiling system, the whole nine yards. Got better, but never went away.

http://www.animalsintheattic.com

Click to view image
murdoch44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Lifter Orientation Reply with quote

I have the same problem with a lifter in my bus. However, I discovered a little trick that works like magic. When the noisy lifter shows up, after a period of non use, I use one of those flexible neck oil cans and pump some engine oil down the pushrod tube of the offending lifter. It quiets down much faster than letting it refill on its own.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just picture the EMPI hydraulic self oiling valve covers. Smile

Seriously that's a good idea. How much oil do you figure?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could that possibly help? The lifter is under pressure in the oil galley. It does not suck oil from the tip. I have found the source of noisy lifters is new lifters with poor tolerances. You can identify poor lifters while bench bleeding. If they press together will little effort you will get noise eventually.
murdoch44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Lifter Orientation Reply with quote

I give it just a couple of squirts. Having had the problematic lifter for quite a time, and trying a couple of different things--giving it extra oil on the top side to work with--quiets it down quicker than just letting itself recharge as it gradually will over time. You can find the soft lifter by checking the rocker arm for play when the cylinder is at the top of the compression cycle. An empty lifter will give under slight pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: