Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is looking to add this Addco 952 sway bar to the back of their bus - Summit Racing has them on Clearance for $79.50 for the kit! Pretty dang good deal if you ask me! Just ordered mine!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

That clearance price is a sweet deal--ordered one! Thanks for the tip. I'll save the old camber compensator for the '56 bug.
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

No problem! I couldn’t believe the clearance price myself!!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Apparently the clearance price didn't last long. I called this morning and the price is back up to $141.50. Only two in stock at the vendor, when they are sold, they won't be available. Crying or Very sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

AH Damn! Sorry! I figured that they may have been getting some dust on them and Summit decided to clear house, but only 2?! Crazy.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

$10 shipping too! Am I rubbing it in? I guess I am.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
$10 shipping too! Am I rubbing it in? I guess I am.

ya wins some, and ya loose some. Glad you were able to grab one!

I'm going camping this weekend anyway.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I know I am a bit late to the party...Lol. Anybody got leads on rear sway bar? Not available any more from summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-952

Front is still available though,

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/sway...sway%20bar

On another note, what exactly do these do for handling for your buses? I want to make any performance upgrades that will benefit me. My bus is built for camping, dirt roads, long drives ect. Any tips/info appreciated! 67 bus btw.

Think these would be a nice upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

The sway bar acts like a connection from what ever side is diving into a swoop, be it a bump or a curve, and strengthens the diving side while transferring some of the force to the other side. The other side feeds back some of its torsional action to the diving side and conversely they become interconnected with feeling. It makes it feel more stable and it actually makes the bread box top-heavy bus more stable.

But in off-road lumbering around dips and gulleys it makes the bus feel like an old arthritic aunt bending over to pet your cat while moaning. Without the sway bar(s) off-road the bus is more nimble footed. These are my opinions only. I have a '67 with factory sway bar and a '65 without. I've had both buses in both driving situations.

What are your driving conditions?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

You definitely want a sway bar for off-road performance.

(You want the beetle once cut into straight lengths and installed inside your tie rods to reinforce them against bending.)
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Is there a downside to adding another sway bar/ant-roll bar to a front end with a stock sway bar installed?I see some have.
We frequently drive up the Columbia River Gorge in our ‘65 Bus and it is not a place known for calm winds. It can be squirrelly at times. The front end/steering on our Bus is pretty good overall. Not like my old ‘68 SC that I had to add a crab angle to the steering wheel in windy conditions.
Not trying to pick a fight or throw rocks, just curious if adding one would improve the handling.
Thanks,
Dave
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
You definitely want a sway bar for off-road performance.

I agree but I was talking about when you are just crawling along. To me my bus without the bar seemed less stiff and tippy.
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What are your driving conditions?

Around town, mostly on-road for right now. Still working out some kinks but planning on many longer trips. Also plan for many dirt trails and fire roads. Really just looking for the best upgrades functionality wise.

Also looking for anything that might help not getting blown out of the lane when a big truck passes on the freeway Lol.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I will repeat, a normal ANTI SWAY bar is the exact WRONG application for any swing axle car. You want a bar that does just the OPPOSITE: A Z-bar. Exactly what VW did with the 1967 and 1968 (4speed) type 1's.
Any normal anti away bar will just make the rear wheels tuck under more while cornering.
Oh, Porsche with Super 90 and C models, Corvairs in 1964 also were swing axle rear suspension with leaf spring camber compensators applied. (same function as Z-bar.)
If you want more stability, use D-rated tire with 45psi in the rear, especially.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
Is there a downside to adding another sway bar/ant-roll bar to a front end with a stock sway bar installed?I see some have.
We frequently drive up the Columbia River Gorge in our ‘65 Bus and it is not a place known for calm winds. It can be squirrelly at times. The front end/steering on our Bus is pretty good overall. Not like my old ‘68 SC that I had to add a crab angle to the steering wheel in windy conditions.
Not trying to pick a fight or throw rocks, just curious if adding one would improve the handling.
Thanks,
Dave

Never thought of a adding a second one. Seems weird. Does your 65 already have one?

First, make sure your steering components are in good order.
Jack it up, and do the wiggle and visual test ala John Muir Idiot Book.
Grease the suspension every 3K miles. Every 1200 on bad roads.
Adjust the linkpins every 6K miles.

Driven the Gorge a number of times. Windy (blowing) windy (curving) roads do point out any slop in the steering.

Adding a stock 66-67 sway bar and vintage EMPI rear camber compensator to my 61 in 2010 made an immediate noticeable improvement in handling on a bus that had good condition steering. I was going 10 mph faster round certain curves w/o thinking about it.

I am not sure how much difference it made on Shasta last year. By that time I was used to the way it drove.

The sway bar on the 64-early 65 beam in my 61 does make it awkward to adjust some of the link pins.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Never thought of a adding a second one.

How does that look?
Anyone got pictures of that?

And another question: would it not make more sense to mount a front sway bar that has a larger diameter?
(I was told that the stock split bus front sway bar =18mm diameter, but more heavy duty 22mm diameter aftermarket ones are also available)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
I've used the front addco in the past and was very happy with it. I ordered both from autoanything and installed the front right away quick and easy. I even left the stock one figured it couldnt hurt and this thing needs all the helpit can get in the wind. I finally got around to installing the rear, not as easy as front but well worth it. I am happy I did it, with the stiffer tires and front and rear sway bars I am not getting blown around on the higway, the bus finally feels planted on the road.
Front hard to see.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is one of 2 pics from earlier in the thread showing the stock sway bar and the aftermarket sway bar installed together.
I may go with the Camber Compensator to the rear since the rear Sway bar is NLA.
Dave
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I will repeat, a normal ANTI SWAY bar is the exact WRONG application for any swing axle car. You want a bar that does just the OPPOSITE: A Z-bar. Exactly what VW did with the 1967 and 1968 (4speed) type 1's.
Any normal anti away bar will just make the rear wheels tuck under more while cornering.

Any links to what I should look into for my 67 bus? For front and rear sway bars, or rear Zbar, like you said. Newby to these sort of suspension things. Looking for what will help best on/off road and help firmly plant my bus on the road. Any info is appreciate. Thanks! Very Happy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Do you have the '67 factory sway bar on yours now?
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Do you have the '67 factory sway bar on yours now?

On the front yeah, but I am interested in adding one to the rear, as well as maybe adding an additional one to the front/replacing it if that is beneficial.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: