Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

gbarrier wrote:
Am running IRS on 65 split window. Can someone verify that 952 is the right part number for rear.

64 IRS:
952 seems to be for a stock Bus. If you find the correct one >Please let me know<.
As far as the front is concerned, I would buy Lind's bar, not a heavy aftermarket - Way too stiff
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

shameless plug:

I came across a stash of NOS stock front anti-sway bars. If anyone wants one, I have an ad in the classifieds. Get them while they last....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2550375
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbarrier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Am running IRS on 65 split window. Can someone verify that 952 is the right part number for rear.
VaKombiGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Just an FYI, called Addco and they have some in stock but you need to call or email them for an order since they are considered “special order” as they don’t sell a lot of them. Price was $155.89.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Yes, both F/R. Even if you do or don't carry weight, you can adjust them. Drawback is they need to be removed to do any adjustments, but you get the soft ride of oil instead of gas. Small bypass valves allow this to happen- a well built shock.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Culito wrote:
Anyone know which (front or rear) will have the most beneficial effect for winding 2-lane blacktop? I'm running drop spindles with a bug straight-axle rear. Still has pretty bad body roll.

I would try some High End shocks. I bought Koni (although I have IRS) they are adjustable. I really don't think you can completely eliminate body roll w a Bus w/o a terrible stiff ride, the Koni's have made my Bus ride great.

Noted, do you run them front and rear?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Anyone know which (front or rear) will have the most beneficial effect for winding 2-lane blacktop? I'm running drop spindles with a bug straight-axle rear. Still has pretty bad body roll.

I would try some High End shocks. I bought Koni (although I have IRS) they are adjustable. I really don't think you can completely eliminate body roll w a Bus w/o a terrible stiff ride, the Koni's have made my Bus ride great.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
I have a stock height '67 daddybus with stock front sway bar. The rear is Porsche 944-armed IRS. In the rear I run a front sway bar from a Porsche Boxster with Porsche 944 adjustable drop links from Pelican Parts. When Iturn the steering wheel, the daddybus turns in...No understeer and stable in the wind.

I'd like to see a picture of that. Sounds nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I have a stock height '67 daddybus with stock front sway bar. The rear is Porsche 944-armed IRS. In the rear I run a front sway bar from a Porsche Boxster with Porsche 944 adjustable drop links from Pelican Parts. When Iturn the steering wheel, the daddybus turns in...No understeer and stable in the wind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

I have a 64 with a stock 67 sway bar (just one half inch). I've tried the 7/8 bar and it was way to stiff/hard ride. Sorta skids. I am lowered w a lot of HP.

I would like to add something (or try) one "in the rear" but I have an IRS -maybe for a Bug?

Quoting Beavis & Butthead: "Hard ride/sorta stiff/in the rear"

I was also wondering WHY no one in the states makes a complete rack & pinion set-up for splits-I've heard rumors/promises from fab shops over the years, but never came to be. Red 9 is far too expensive and shipping & CE is not R&Pinion.
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Update: After 4 months of waiting after ordering front and rear they have both arrived at my door. Super happy with quality and can't wait to install. Just drove 900 miles in my bus the week before they came and I sure could have used them on the road. Heavy winds and semis are no joke lol. I'll post pics whenever I get to install them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
Jegs has addco front sway bar for cheaper than Summit and free shipping.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/723/10002/-1

Thank you. They also apparently have rear. I ordered both, we'll see if they both show up Laughing

Rear sway bar link:

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/952/10002/-1

For both front and rear my total was $311.72 with tax + free shipping. Front is set to ship in 2 weeks and says rear wont ship for about a month and a half. Fingers crossed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Jegs has addco front sway bar for cheaper than Summit and free shipping.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/723/10002/-1

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Any links to what I should look into for my 67 bus? For front and rear sway bars, or rear Zbar, like you said. . Thanks! Very Happy[/quote]

You can type in "anti sway bar" at youtube and get sever ideal / opinions there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Do you have the '67 factory sway bar on yours now?

On the front yeah, but I am interested in adding one to the rear, as well as maybe adding an additional one to the front/replacing it if that is beneficial.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Do you have the '67 factory sway bar on yours now?
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I will repeat, a normal ANTI SWAY bar is the exact WRONG application for any swing axle car. You want a bar that does just the OPPOSITE: A Z-bar. Exactly what VW did with the 1967 and 1968 (4speed) type 1's.
Any normal anti away bar will just make the rear wheels tuck under more while cornering.

Any links to what I should look into for my 67 bus? For front and rear sway bars, or rear Zbar, like you said. Newby to these sort of suspension things. Looking for what will help best on/off road and help firmly plant my bus on the road. Any info is appreciate. Thanks! Very Happy
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
I've used the front addco in the past and was very happy with it. I ordered both from autoanything and installed the front right away quick and easy. I even left the stock one figured it couldnt hurt and this thing needs all the helpit can get in the wind. I finally got around to installing the rear, not as easy as front but well worth it. I am happy I did it, with the stiffer tires and front and rear sway bars I am not getting blown around on the higway, the bus finally feels planted on the road.
Front hard to see.

Rear.

This is one of 2 pics from earlier in the thread showing the stock sway bar and the aftermarket sway bar installed together.
I may go with the Camber Compensator to the rear since the rear Sway bar is NLA.
Dave
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running an aftermarket swaybar? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Never thought of a adding a second one.

How does that look?
Anyone got pictures of that?

And another question: would it not make more sense to mount a front sway bar that has a larger diameter?
(I was told that the stock split bus front sway bar =18mm diameter, but more heavy duty 22mm diameter aftermarket ones are also available)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: