Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Wipers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NovaHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Windshield Wipers Reply with quote

Gah! Help! Whenever I turn on my wipers, the fuse blows! Is it more likely that this is a short, or is it possible that the motor is straining too much? How do I fix it?

I'm almost ready... just let me fix my car.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon after you turn on your wipers does the fuse blow? If it is immediate then I would look for a short. If it takes a little while then blows then I would suspect the motor. It sounds more like a direct short, I would start poking around and tracing some of the wiring to look for problems. Whatever you do don't put aluminum foil on the fuse unless you like burning up stuff.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Novahippie
How about that rain today Evil or Very Mad . I drive to work down the 101 to Foster City and this morning was a real pain in the ass. The one thing I really like about the bus is even in a downpour she handles like a train on rails. I've never hydroplaned once. Plus I love blowing by the soccer mom in her gangerster Escalade. Ha ha Undelay!!!! Twisted Evil

HIPPO's Love water!
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect rust jamming some joints.
I would oil ( shot gun oil ) and spray ( WD 40 or alike ) like mad at all places that could have seized.
I would check for bent, catching parts.
Well, I think few of my old cars ask for it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NovaHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A train on rails? Dude, I can change lanes with a gust of wind.

THe fuse blows immediately most of the time. I've gone through four or five trying to figure it out. Once I got one good swipe, then it blew. I'll look for a short. Uhm... (I can feel the newbie in me) what might a short look like, exactly? Rolling Eyes

toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a wire that is dangling and touching the body or another grounding source. Otherwise look for any bare wire that is touching another wire or one that is frayed. If you got one good swipe once I would start to look at the wiper motor. Like was said above, grease or oil EVERY moving part and see if that helps.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
NovaHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem. I'm really embarassed. It seems that one of the wires connected to the switch itself was diconnected and hidden. Not touching anything, just hidden. Embarassed Meh. Well, thanks for the help anyway!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: