Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need instructions on raising adjustable beam
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncleshish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

Need help in how to raise an adjustable beam. The car is at it's lowest setting and would like to raise it one notch. Need help with where to place
and block up car to get the weight off the front end so it can be adjusted.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
slugbug721
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a prick or anything but, you might want to do a search as there's a lot of information on this subject already posted.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adjustable beam on my 70. Here is my method ( and most everyone elses I guess)

Jack front of car up and support by jackstands on the beam. Loosen the center grub screws. Now place the jack under one of the front wheels and jack it up to where you want it ( allow for the travel of the shock.. etc) and tighten the screw back. It isnt very hard but be sure to use jack stands and support the car safely. Dropping a bug on a narrowed beam is simple. Loosen the screws, let it bottom out, tighten the screws! Very Happy Atleast thats what happend to me.... Rides like shit, looks radical. The roads around here suck anyway. Wink

GOOD LUCK MAN~ Sam
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowlow_70bugg wrote:
I have an adjustable beam on my 70. Here is my method ( and most everyone elses I guess)

Jack front of car up and support by jackstands on the beam. Loosen the center grub screws. Now place the jack under one of the front wheels and jack it up to where you want it ( allow for the travel of the shock.. etc) and tighten the screw back. It isnt very hard but be sure to use jack stands and support the car safely. Dropping a bug on a narrowed beam is simple. Loosen the screws, let it bottom out, tighten the screws! Very Happy Atleast thats what happend to me.... Rides like shit, looks radical. The roads around here suck anyway. Wink

GOOD LUCK MAN~ Sam

What exactly do you mean..sorry, I just didn't understand it.
wtchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosen nut, follow directions above, tighten nut, drive!
Ned Shaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

I also wanted to raise the front of my car. I jacked it up by the front beam until the tires were off the ground. I then loosened the nuts holding the brackets and the rotated down very abruptly. I thought that meant when I lowered the car, it would be higher. I could barely remove the jack it was so low. Now I can't figure out how to return it to a higher stance.... there is nothing solid to raise the pin back up. Ned
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

Ned Shaw wrote:
I also wanted to raise the front of my car. I jacked it up by the front beam until the tires were off the ground. I then loosened the nuts holding the brackets and the rotated down very abruptly. I thought that meant when I lowered the car, it would be higher. I could barely remove the jack it was so low. Now I can't figure out how to return it to a higher stance.... there is nothing solid to raise the pin back up. Ned

Which nuts? Does your beam have adjusters or did you just unscrew the stock grub screws? Did you tighten them back down? How adjusters work depends on the type and placement of the adjusters.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

BE VERY CAREFULL HERE !!!
I did this wrong and ended up having to remove the beam and take it to a shop to get it fixed .

There are threaded posts with allen key holes in the end that have nuts on them to tighten them in place .
DO NOT loosen the TOP allen key post ; it is screwed into the coupling that holds the flat springs .
Hold the top post with an allen key while you loosten the tightening nut on the post.
put the allen key in the bottom post and loosten the nut on it ...turning the bottom post pushes the top post up and turns the springs adjusting the height .
adjust the height and tighten EVERYTHING
do the same on the bottom adjuster .
bounce the car several times and let it settle
adjust more if necessary ..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

It sounds as though the OP has a beam with the puma style adjusters?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jacking up the car would be the same for all types of adjusters. I dont have any experience with this type pf adjuster though so maybe someone else can chime in as to the specifics of adjusting it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need instructions on raising adjustable beam Reply with quote

Mine has these type adjusters. Each one has 2 nuts, one on top of the other, so the top one acts as a locking nut or jam nut. Here's how I raise and lower (in order to get my tow bar under the car to take it places):

1) Jack up drivers side and put a couple of bricks under the front tire.

2) Move jack to center of bulk head and jack up front of car.

3) Loosen top locking nut on both adjusters, then loosen bottom nut. The axle is free to move.

4A - To raise front) I grab the lower trailing arms and pull down. It has a little resistance. When I get the spot I want, I tighten the lower nuts on top and bottom adjusters then the top nuts and do the steps above in reverse.

4B - To lower front) I jack the front up high enough to put several bricks under each front tire. Then I slowly lower the jack until the front end reached my desired low setting. Then I tighten the nuts as described above. Then I jack the front up and remove the bricks on the passenger side and put enough under the drivers side front to be able to remove the jack from under the car when I lower it. Then I pull the jack around to the side jack point, jack up the car, and remove the bricks.

** I've painted small indicator lines on my lower locking plates and reference points to line up when lowering back down. I've found the sweet spot for driving and not rubbing and marked it for easy reference when lowering it back down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: