Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

The latest episode of Bitchin Rides has them working on a 71 Ghia Vert. The part of the show about the Ghia starts about 15 minutes in.

https://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/bitchin-rides/full-episodes/the-secret-client
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Saw the Bitchin rides last night.. Looked like a pretty nice car. I didn't care for the mods though.

Dave Kindig supposedly got his start in VWs. I had to laugh when he was trying to pull the motor with the breast plate still on there and then he ended up taking the fan shroud just to get the motor out.. Very Happy
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
Saw the Bitchin rides last night.. Looked like a pretty nice car. I didn't care for the mods though.

Dave Kindig supposedly got his start in VWs. I had to laugh when he was trying to pull the motor with the breast plate still on there and then he ended up taking the fan shroud just to get the motor out.. Very Happy

That was kind of strange. Of course it probably had been a long time since he had pulled a motor and forgot a few things.
ghiacrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Saw that episode also, funny about the engine - built it about ten years ago and wanted to replace the flywheel seal and rebuild carbs ? and the owner only put a few miles on it in all this time. Anyway, how about the movie Pumping Iron when big Lou Ferrigno is getting out of his car in front of his Brooklyn gym and across the gym is a 60's hardtop in a parking lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

In Cheech & Chong's 1978 cinematic masterpiece, 'Up in Smoke', what looks like a late '69 convertible can be seen in the near lane as Pedro's smoke-filled '64 Impala heads toward the camera on the opposite side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

This footage never made it to the silver screen. I ran across it while reading a New York Times (Top 10 in fake news) article about Uma Thurman speaking out against Harvey Weinstein.
Linkt to article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opinion/sund...oogle.com/

Link

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
This footage never made it to the silver screen. I ran across it while reading a New York Times (Top 10 in fake news) article about Uma Thurman speaking out against Harvey Weinstein.
Linkt to article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opinion/sund...oogle.com/

Link

As I understand it she is saying that Tarentino forced her to crash the car.

Intentionally crashing that Ghia should be a crime!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I’m glad she has found the voice to speak up. As I read it, she was coerced into driving a dodgy car in conditions she was uncomfortable with, but her complaints were ignored. Most crashes have multiple contributing causes, but I don’t think the crash was in her plan. A stunt double should have taken the risk.

It would be a fair guess she isn’t a fan of Ghias given that very unpleasant outcome for her.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

cheech & chong, yeahh......
rcooled wrote:
In Cheech & Chong's 1978 cinematic masterpiece, 'Up in Smoke', what looks like a late '69 convertible can be seen in the near lane as Pedro's smoke-filled '64 Impala heads toward the camera on the opposite side.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
cheech & chong, yeahh......
rcooled wrote:

That's dope!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I’m glad she has found the voice to speak up. As I read it, she was coerced into driving a dodgy car in conditions she was uncomfortable with, but her complaints were ignored. Most crashes have multiple contributing causes, but I don’t think the crash was in her plan. A stunt double should have taken the risk.

It would be a fair guess she isn’t a fan of Ghias given that very unpleasant outcome for her.
Nicholas

Yes. Here is an excerpt from today's Washington Post about what happened. The link below is for the full article although you may need an account to access it.

QT, as he’s known to his fans, finally reassured her that the car was safe and the road was straight, but not without a dose of intimidation. “ ‘Hit 40 miles per hour or your hair won’t blow the right way,’ ” he threatened, “ ‘and I’ll make you do it again.’ ”

She complied. Then she proceeded to crash the car, resulting in what she says is permanent damage to her neck and “screwed-up knees.” Thurman’s recollection of her “dehumanization to the point of death” was part of a larger story that included coercive, violent encounters with “Kill Bill’s” producer and Tarantino’s chief champion, Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/uma...ed5d592f14
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

re the Kill Bill ghia incident, it says that it had been converted from a stickshift to an auto transmission which was thought to be unsafe, Ms Thurman also says that the seat wasn't bolted down. As I understand it she was not required to crash the car but to drive it along a sand road fast enough to move her hair. I am not sure why they had to use that particular converted car (I would have thought automatic ghias were easy to get in the US) or, if so, why nobody could find a few bolts and fix the seat (would only take minutes to do)....

I don't want to comment on Ms Thurman or #metoo etc but wonder what others think about the mechanical aspects of this story
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

If you look carefully you can see the back of the seat moving back and forth as the car bounces on the road. That would support the claim the seat was loose.
Nicholas
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

that's the reshoot they did in the studio with back/front projection - see the crazy stance of the car at 1.15 like its heading for the treetops!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Head rest, no head rest...then head rest again...Its funny this is becoming a "thing". I even heard talk about this incident on talk radio this morning. No mention of a KG tho.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

finster wrote:
that's the reshoot they did in the studio with back/front projection - see the crazy stance of the car at 1.15 like its heading for the treetops!

That's what I thought too.
And that's how it should have been done in the first place.
The thing about "Hollywood" is there is high level of incompetence, very few people are actually trained professionals.
"Fuck You Quentin, you get in that car, and drive it down that road, first at 40 MPH", then I'll do it."
He would of crashed it, or the seat would have at least been bolted down.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Can't believe she crashed that KG... Funny how she blames someone else for crashing the "Death Box". Sorry, but YOU crashed, don't blame others for your lack of driving skills. Pathetic.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Can't believe she crashed that KG... Funny how she blames someone else for crashing the "Death Box". Sorry, but YOU crashed, don't blame others for your lack of driving skills. Pathetic.

She is an actor, not a stunt driver. 40mph on a curvy gravel road. Should have been a professional driver behind the wheel, not an actor. But, directors can be very intimidating on sets to get what they want. She was hit in the head by a prop (the sword handle) that was in between the seats. After she gets out of the car it is obvious the seat is almost under the dashboard, so it has broken or missing bolts. That vehicle was not prepared properly. Stupid to coerce an actor in that situation. And since a director with a little success has lots of power in the business, it is difficult to say no to them ... they can make your life difficult.

Yes, I am in the business.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I can recall seeing that a nearby antique auto museum (Volo Antique Auto Mueum) was offering the Karmann Ghia used in the Kill Bill movie for sale back in 2006.
Shortly thereafter a Kill Bill movie Ghia popped up for sale on eBay, and there was a thread here in The Samba Ghia forum discussing it.

If you begin reading here on the second page of that discussion, you will find an interesting comment by forum member L.A.B. who recounts a 2005 car wash conversation he had with someone who claimed to have worked on the Kill Bill movie down in Mexico.

I have to wonder from the wording of that person's account if a cover-up of Uma's crash had already begun.

One thing is for certain, though - they definitely crashed the wrong one of the two Karmann Ghias used in the filming of that movie.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 42

Jump to: