Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Thank you.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Yes, for example my 356c was made 14 months before my Ghia in the same factory

Nicholas
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
The battered Ghia coupe looks like a low light, no? Depending on the angle of the camera shot, the bottom of lowlight headlights typically seem at the same level as the top of the towel bars. Hard to see for sure?
Marc, I think you're right! I have the DVD and just went to that scene. I can't make a screen shot because my Apple PC has a feature where you can't do that on movie DVDs for copyright purposes. And I did not find an HD version on YouTube at moment from which I can take a screen shot and enlarge it. Still, your front blinker logic is sound. Additionally, if it were a '60 and higher, the dark spot created by the driver's side air intake nostril would be noticeable even if were just a black oblong "blob". This blob is missing, pointing to the smaller and less contrasting lowlight air intake shape.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

hello from germany..#look this lovely vid-clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFKoHj9nZBk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2013:
Rome wrote:
TV show "I dream of Jeannie" from the late '60's- in the still image of the Space Center's office in Florida which was used in many episodes, the one showing the Bell X1 supersonic plane on a pedestal in the foreground, you can see the back of a turquoise/light blue Ghia coupe in the first row of the parking lot in the background. Definitely a pre-'67 due to the narrowness of the rear track, but at least a '60 due to the taillight size and shape.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

TV show "Barn Find Hunter" episode 64 from Sept. 2019, host Mr. Cotter sees a '69 Ghia Coupe in a field of many varied vintage cars located near Bozeman, Montana. Just exterior shots; neither the interior nor the engine are examined.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Ghias in a few "Adam-12" TV show episodes.
-Orange Ghia Coupe on street behind Ofcrs Reed and Malloy (Kent McCord, Martin Milner) in season 3, ep. 22 "Child in Danger", 1971.

-White Ghia Coupe parked, season 3, episode 15 called "LEMRAS"; 1971. Black & white AMC police car is seen at distant right, turning the corner.

"Log 69: Cigarettes, Cars, and Wild, Wild Women" season 3, episode 5 from 1970 has officers Malloy and Reed drive past this Ghia parked along the street. Dual reverse lights, wide rear track, low back seats; and lack of rear fender reflectors point to 1967 model year. Same shot is sometimes seen in other episodes when showing the patrol car en route.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Spotted in What’s Love Got To Do With It, the Tina Turner biopic.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
TV show "Barn Find Hunter" episode 64 from Sept. 2019, host Mr. Cotter sees a '69 Ghia Coupe in a field of many varied vintage cars located near Bozeman, Montana. Just exterior shots; neither the interior nor the engine are examined.

That's an amazingly clean looking KG!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

^^ No kidding. And with a plate on it, makes me wonder if it was just placed there for the show.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

My wife spotted this Ghia in a TV programme on the life and work of Martha Cooper, who photographed graffiti in New York: Martha: A Picture Story.

My wife's reaction: "Wow, look at all that rust!" (She must have forgotten how much rust we had to deal with.)

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Blue '70/'71 Ghia Coupe in Los Angeles parking lot, movie "The Stone Killer" (1973).

TV show "Charlie's Angels" 1979 episode "Marathon Angels", season 3 episode 19. 2 of the Angels Kelly Garrett and Kris Munroe (Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd) join a pack of 20 female runners in a "marathon" for an undercover assignment. A Willow Green '71 Ghia Coupe is parked at a home which they run past. Per IMDB, street running scenes are mostly on Tennessee Ave. in Los Angeles, California in the Century City area.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Karmann Ghia Coupes in movie "The French Connection", 1971 filmed in New York City and Brooklyn. Police detectives Popeye Doyle and Buddy Russo (Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider) in Doyle's blue Ford sedan are following one of the main characters Sal Boca (Tony Lo Bianco) in Brooklyn. They pass by a white '67 Ghia Coupe parked at right.

Later, the 2 detectives follow Boca to another location in NYC. Red Ghia Coupe parked at right. Boca is getting out of his car on the left. There's a dark red Splittie way down the street.

Boca walks past the Ghia, where you can see the headrests. They look like the rectangular '69 or '70 style, whereby the orange-red color could be Sunset ('69) or Amber ('70).
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Times Ghia Reply with quote

From 2010:
Reyesfa wrote:
Remember the Good Times show from the 70's.
There is a glimpse of one in the show opening credits.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNNBjbJT6nI

Its at about 24 seconds

At least, looks like a Ghia to me
Yes!

Segment was used for the first few seasons starting in 1974. You don't see any more of the front because of being blocked by the boy on the bike, and a bus passing by immediately after; so that the year of the car is not clear. Lack of towel bars, and the "rectangular" shaped overrider points to the '72 or later bumper style.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

From 2016:
Disc wrote:
Latest Kärcher "Ghostbusters" advert feature an early Coupe, being pressure washed. Sorry, can't add a link but try search in Youtube for it.
Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmgwxcIcZL8 The German pressure washer company Kaercher (I spelled the name with "ae" as substitute for the "a umlaut"; pronounced like KAIR-sher) is the contemporary tool for scaring off 3 "Slimers" (aka "The Little Spud" from the Ghostbusters movie) from a modern house. One of them flies into a very nicely done early '60's two-toned Ghia Coupe.

The Ghostbuster uses the homeowner-sized Kaercher to spray off the slime. You can see the dished door lock button (thru '63) and lack of "VOLKSWAGEN" script on the engine lid (started with '63, if this one is original) to narrow the model years to '60 thru '62.

There is a "Making of..." video which mentions the location is Barcelona, Spain. The large brown balloon on a rope is about to hit the side of the Ghia to create the slime splatter, and the special effects shot of the Slimer flying past the windshield about to hit the car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vXZuovYgDY
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

OMG.
I so want to believe that’s my Ghia in Hitchcock’s Vertigo (37’35”)!
Screenshot no go. Will try to post something later…
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Just saw it again 53:19— Midge Wood’s car (Barbara bel Geddes)!
Ok, now I am pretty sure I am not the first to see this.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia in Hitchcock's Vertigo Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
futhark wrote:
Vertigo (1958) has many scenes in which Jimmy Stewart is driving his '56 DeSoto Firedome around San Francisco. His character's platonic friend Midge has a lowlight Ghia coupe. In one scene, Midge is spying from her Ghia on Jimmy Stewart's character while he is entertaining Kim Novak in his apartment...

Here's that scene from Hitchcock's classic ↓↓↓

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Yep. Rumored to be a 56.
I wonder if it is still around…

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

barbara bel geddes, Miss Ellie Ewing. yes i saw the low a lot of years ago. fantastic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 42

Jump to: