Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Big Bill will enjoy these Ghia sightings, once again from "The Streets of San Francisco" TV series from the 1970's.

Red ~'70 Coupe parked. "Endgame" season 3 episode 17, 1975. That's main character SF police detective Mike Stone (Karl Malden) dressed as a street patrolman.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue ~ '68 Coupe, same episode.

Blue Coupe parked. Same car, different perspectives. "A room with a view" S1E18 1973.

White early '60's Coupe parked. "A trout in the milk" S1E13, 1973.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

TV movie "The Blue Knight" (1973), filmed in downtown Los Angeles, California. Starring William Holden as veteran policeman Bumper Morgan nearing retirement.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

EverettB and Randolph_Carter in the Type 3 Forum referenced this German driver's education film "Damit muss man rechnen- Amberg 1965" (German for "You have to reckon with that"). Amberg is a German town located east of Nuremburg. It features a young man completing his driving test, buys a new Opel Rekord Series B, and narrates the careless and sometimes even reckless behavior of city drivers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkLtcCO6sy8

Red Ghia Coupe parked.

Red '60+ Ghia Cabrio driving.

Red with black roof lowlight Ghia Coupe parked. EverettB has a very similar shot in his gallery but I caught the full front.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

The Sandpiper 1965 (about 10 minutes in)
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Killing Eve, Series 4 Episode 5 : 16.00 minutes.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Wow John— that Ghia is stealing the scene!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Opening credits of movie "Silent Night, Lonely Night" (1969) set in Amherst, Massachusetts. Lack of rear fender reflector and wide rear track points to a '67.

Brown two-tone Ghia Coupe parked on right, German movie set in Austria "Schoen ist die Liebe am Koenigsee" (The love is nice on King Lake), 1961. The two people are in an MGA Roadster. Could the color be L352 Cognac with a special order black roof? Usual roof color would be L472 beige grey.

Ghia Cabrio lowlight in holiday traffic on the famous Swiss Alps' Gotthard mountain pass, German documentary "Urlaubsverkehr am Gotthard 1963". The Opel sedan passing on the left seems reckless, but this move can work well especially when you're in a reasonably powerful car: When in apex of turn or even earlier, at the moment you have clear vision up the road and observe there's no oncoming traffic, accelerate and start the pass while still in the turn.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
...Ghia Coupe parked on right, German movie set in Austria "Schoen ist die Liebe am Koenigsee"

Ghia Cabrio...German documentary "Urlaubsverkehr am Gotthard 1963".

Holy crap, Rome...where do you find these movies? I remember you once saying that you always have a TV on in the background while you're working, but still. These films are really obscure...are you streaming them from somewhere?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled, my weekdays of having the TV on at home due to the pandemic condition Work from Home are over- I've been going to the office since late 2020. For recent old VWs sightings, when I'm in the mood (more often that I should) I search YouTube for German movies from the 1950's thru '70's, or travel-related documentaries. Even though I understand German, I usually turn the volume off, fast-forward until there's a traffic scene where there could be a VW, then go to real time playback. If I find one, I'll go back for a few seconds until I can get a screen shot that best shows the car. YouTube usually lists more movies of the genre after I find a suitable one. If not German movies, then US ones or TV programs from that era. "McMillan & Wife" and "Kojak" have many.

Beetles are so common in those sources that I've started to only catch Ghias, Type 3, Type 4 and Buses; unless there's a "novelty" coincidental shot of at least 2 Beetles. I just uploaded 30 Splittie Type 2 images to my gallery from the past 2 months of sightings. Ghia sightings are far rarer so that I'll settle for a partial vehicle in the shot.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Rome wrote:
...Ghia Coupe parked on right, German movie set in Austria "Schoen ist die Liebe am Koenigsee"

Ghia Cabrio...German documentary "Urlaubsverkehr am Gotthard 1963".

Holy crap, Rome...where do you find these movies? I remember you once saying that you always have a TV on in the background while you're working, but still. These films are really obscure...are you streaming them from somewhere?

You took the words out of my mouth! Laughing

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

A Karmann Ghia coupe is part of this San Francisco street scene in the 1979 film Time After Time, starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen.

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Link

The Getaway (1972)
Lowlight at about 4:40 on
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Red Ghia Cabrio in background, New York City, TV movie "McCloud- The 42nd Street Cavalry", 1974. Looks like the rear window is "gone" which would be a '70 or '71 with that bumper style and just a sliver of the medium-sized taillamps. Rear window would be the glass style which can be opened down/inwards with the top up. Main character US Marshall Sam McCloud (Dennis Weaver) from Taos, New Mexico is on special assignment with New York City police department, sitting on the horse at far left.

White Ghia Cabrio, "McCloud- Night of the Shark" 1976 set in Sydney, Australia. US Marshall Sam McCloud (Dennis Weaver) is supporting a case in which a suspect goes to AUS. He's riding the horse.

Probably the same car in traffic, repositioned for a take in the same horse chase.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I was a kid in Sydney when that was filmed. The network that ran McCloud made a big hullabaloo about it. If you know that part of Sydney, (which I do very well), then the sequence of shots for the chase scene was idiotic. One shot he's on the bridge heading south, next cut he's on the north side under the bridge and cut again he's over near the opera house and so on it went. I don't remember much about McCloud but that lunatic chase stuck in my head. Dennis Weaver upgrades the silly car chase motif when he into jumped into a early Plymouth and got road raged by a Mack truck in that Steven King movie, Duel. Script writers had it easy for that one.

BTW cars are not permitted to park on the Bridge like that Ghia... He'd be towed away and impounded for causing an obstruction. More silliness played out for the camera Laughing

Nicholas
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Thanks for the recollections, sputnick! I could see that the chase sequence had some discrepancies in location even without knowing the city at all. I also wondered why that Ghia was "parked" on the bridge, and the only explanation might be that the driver pulled over when he saw the 2 horses coming up behind him.

If you've ever watched the movie "The Seven-Ups" (1973), the incredible car chase ends up being filmed on 2 parkways in Westchester County, north of New York City as well as briefly on the Palisades Parkway in New Jersey on the west side of the Hudson River. I've driven on both of the NY sections dozens of times and also recognize some of the editing errors. BTW I have a few Ghia screen shots from that movie in this topic.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Thanks for the recollections, sputnick! I could see that the chase sequence had some discrepancies in location even without knowing the city at all. I also wondered why that Ghia was "parked" on the bridge, and the only explanation might be that the driver pulled over when he saw the 2 horses coming up behind him.

If you've ever watched the movie "The Seven-Ups" (1973), the incredible car chase ends up being filmed on 2 parkways in Westchester County, north of New York City as well as briefly on the Palisades Parkway in New Jersey on the west side of the Hudson River. I've driven on both of the NY sections dozens of times and also recognize some of the editing errors. BTW I have a few Ghia screen shots from that movie in this topic.

Yes, anyone familiar with the area knows that when you leave the island of Manhattan you're not immediately on rural roads like that. But that's not important to the sequence or story, so no biggie, afaic. 8o)

Quite a few VWs in that chase sequence, though not KGs.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Nice YouTube feature from Queensland, Aus...

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

'68 Ghia Coupe stopped in city traffic, YouTube documentary video "People on the GO" from Ontario, Canada 1973. Headrest shape appears to be the '68 1-year only integrated backrest style color, but the car color looks like Sunset which was only for '69...

'66 Ghia Coupe parked, TV series "The Green Hornet" Beautiful Dreamer, part 1; 1966. Main character Britt Reid (Van Williams) pulls up in his Chrysler 300 convertible.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

An early-'70s Ghia convertible spotted in this scene at LAX from a recent episode of the STARZ series 'Gaslit'.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Red Ghia in junkyard, TV show "Charlie's Angels" episode "Blue Angels", S1E22, 1977.

Orange '70/'71 Ghia Coupe parked in New York City, movie "The Seven-ups" 1973.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 42

Jump to: