Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock tires
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: stock tires Reply with quote

I have a thing with stock rims...the goal with the thing is to make it a daily driver as well as an occationally desert trip (mild off roading) I am not sure when I'll upgrade tires/ wheels to 15's..but would like to put some 14 slightly aggresive tread pattern..anyone have any input ideas where to buy these? Thanks for your time Dave (located in Scal)
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: show some love Reply with quote

Come on guys where's the love...? Question I know someone knows the answer to this,I've been looking long and hard no info to be found......show some love..thanks Dave
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the tire rack for a set on 185 light truck tires (LT) and see what's available. There should be a link on the bay window bus forum for the tire rack if you do a search. Finding aggressive 14" tires isn't always easy to do. At least that has been my experience here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185/75 R14, Bridgestone continental I think is what the came with og?
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Tim gud, Thanks for that info helpful, Buckly, thank you as well, you say bridgstone continential OG OG? what does that stand for sorry for being so lame...Tahnks again for your time Dave
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love asking and answering guestions on these forums, As its said "an unasked question is the stupidest question". OG=original or what the car came with from the factory. VW of America, or VWOA also made the odd change or customization. OG may cover that to, but I'm not positive.

Reading and talking on these forums more often than not inspires me to get up from the computer and do some thing to my Thing or maybe its the other thing, or maybe the kombi, whatever it is I do something, and these forums help.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome vtathing.I too enjoy asking questions for problems I have yet to solve, and answering those I have experience with. If you find a source for a good tire please post an answer for the others who are looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87BOSS351C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 2 different tire brands.

Bridgestone Dueller A/T: 195/75/14
Dayton Timberline A/T: 195/75/14 and 225/70/14

Good luck finding the Daytons. I just ordered a set for my Chevy truck and I had to call 4 different Firestone (makes Dayton's) shops in 4 different cities to find one that could special order them for me!!! They are good tires at a good price though. 4 LT265/75/16 Load Range D for $460. BFG A/T's were $600!

Good Luck!

Patrick
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, Thanks for the info,were thses close to stock size or where these a little larger which I would prefer...? Thanks again I need to break the bank it looks like Dave
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have these tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...mpare1=yes

i think they are great on the stock rims, just a little bit chunky and strong looking, but not over the top. they ARE bigger than stock, which affects your final drive ratio and introduces a speedometer error. the speedo error is fixable, the final drive ratio might actually be a good thing if you want to drive on the highway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shoes make your thing look really nice, I like the extra clearance
VTAthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Scott, and Buckley, thanks again for your help on this , like buckley stated those shoes look great on your thing. I was hoping to avoid going to the 15's...those look like there is a decent amount of clearance. what would the overall size increase be; how much wider/taller would scotts tires be than stock tires ,over all handling on and offroad with my thing suspention raised slightly for clearance ......I really want the stock look and if these will be comparable to 15 in performance/handling that would be great ...any input would be great ...thanks again for your time Dave
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tires that Scott has on his 181 are 14", not 15" That size tire 27 X 8.5-14 fits on a stock car with a stock rim just fine. That size is maybe 1"-2" taller, and marginally wider than a stock tire.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of (4) 195 60 14 studded mud and snow Wintertrax tires that are great on the highway and great on dirt also. They have about 3/4 of the tread left. I am selling them for $50 for the set of 4. They would have to be shipped from Colorado or picked up locally. They sit nicely on stock wheels and have great clearance. I am in the process of selling all my Thing wheels to get enough $ to put tires on my Prosche rims for my 5 x 130 944 disc brake and wheel set up. I will be running studded 195 70 15 or 205 70 15 Hankook mud and snow tires. I have not decided which size will clear the best on my street car. I have set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks 235 70 15 and that is what I will run on the back of my offroad Thing. I was going to run them on my street car but I fear that they will never clear. If anyone needs any measurements from a stock wheel I can make all the measurements needed. Also the stock size is a 5JK x 14 steel disks with drop center rims. K-mann
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: