Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BD for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara, is this the barndoor that came from the teacher south of Lewiston, Id.?

That is too bad that bus got painted.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surface rust in the 1st pic is way kewl! Cool Shiney new paint in the 2nd pic is nice but too nice from the the 1st pic. Just my opinion.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DopeBeatDerrick
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most dissapointing reason... This bus won't be driven now! I know more than a handful of people (including myself) that would drive that Barney somewhere, not just daily, but lets say.... Jerome Jamboree? Instead, the bus will sit in a garage. To each their own!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DopeBeatDerrick wrote:
The most dissapointing reason... This bus won't be driven now! I know more than a handful of people (including myself) that would drive that Barney somewhere, not just daily, but lets say.... Jerome Jamboree? Instead, the bus will sit in a garage. To each their own!

i'd make that my daily driver Very Happy
splitty_smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about the repaint on that bus. The patina on that was Tits! IMHO the only reason to repaint that bus would be to do a perfect restoration- But being that i am a big fan of the patina look I would have made the interior and mechanicals completely perfect before I even considered touching the paint.

---1974 Super Beetle "Gus" 1835 Engle 110 Dual Kadrons
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big time supporter of the OG paint movement and I have a different perception of an original paint bus than some others Im sure. My theory is that OG paint is a true badge of honor. Its not easy for a vehicle that old to go through so much in its lifetime, avoid body damage, dodge the abusive owner or two and still manage to avoid the terrible 60's, 70's and 80's without being shoved in a paint booth to get repainted. Now this is speaking for a bus with nice patina. Sometimes there is no choice but to repaint / restore a bus.

Now in my opinion, if somebody plans on repainting a bus because they plan to keep it forever and they go and restore it, thats their decision. I can understand the fact that people do buy vehicles to restore them. but to get a decent original paint bus, especially a BD and repaint it to resell, thats not my style but hey. I know the owner of this bus and he's a pretty cool dude. I just told him he should have left it OG.

Whatever happens, hopefully it stays here in the states.
Just my .02
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should come up with a clear definition of "patina"and what is :"rusted out,scratched up,wavy metal ,primer and dents and needs a paint job really bad"i'm not saying that bus is the later but it definately walks that fine line.i wonder how many of these "og" paint buses will be rusted ot junk in 5 years because there is no paint to preserve the metal!?!pleasse don't take this the wrong way guys,i love og buses.i just question why some aren't repainted to save whats left of them?there is no piant on the roof of that barndoor,just bare metal,how long do you think it will last in the open air?............louis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with Tribal on this. Boy havent we gone full circle on this. Now we are criticising people for making a nice full points restoration!!

The crux of the matter is "when" to restore. I believe its a fine line between what is nice patina (the bottom half of the bus) and rust (roof). And be sure there's alot more you cant see or get at without a full resto.

There are great busses around with original paint but there are also people who have put the idea of restoration out of their minds because they dont know the difference between the rot and patina. Problem is, the longer a bus goes without restoration, the closer it gets to the point of no return. And I dont imagine the rat/patina bus owners now having the inclination to do the work; they dont recognise theyve let things get too far cos at the moment the patina/rust border is cool. How often do you hear of someone saying "its a shame to scrub off the old paint but its time to save this bus". Its rare.

The life of a bus is a timeline of decline and renewal. It takes money and good sence to make the decision to restore but all owners should be ready to consider it carefully when the time comes.

This owner did make that decision and is at least doing a great job of the restoration (congratulations), but Im betting he also tossed up about driving it as is too. Sooner or later at least it will be the right decision for all busses at some stage. Give any person who has made that choice the benefit of the doubt and encourage him to do a great job on the restoration. If it seems borderline as to where the bus is, dont hound someone for a good restoration.

Hmmm what is OG anyway. No factory/dealer photos Ive seen show a rusted or patina-ed bus on the show room floor. I guess we're talking about showing its history but that didnt stop them touching up the Mona Lisa nor the Last Supper. Mind that created an uproar too. Tough subject in any situation.
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
Now we are criticising people for making a nice full points restoration!!

i missed that post. if it was going to get a full points resto, i don't think anyone here would have complained. thats not dove blue.

also, i agree completely with what adam beefcake bruno said.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '55 westy looks quite a bit worse than that '54 and I don't intend to repaint it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think Antonio fucked up repainting that bus...he probably threw away 10-15K+ in whatever "restoration" he did and probably added only about half that to its value.

I also think that Evilbus fucked up selling that bus....although after reading some of his comments in this thread the bus probably should have never been in his hands to begin with.

I think Clara should have kept it.....
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to step in here and say that bus has really nice front floors, and doglegs. It was sold in the W WA desert, then lived in Missoula MT from 62 till about 95, when it was drug to Idaho. Then Mike & I got it and took it to Oly... (yup from that teacher.... I think I got it out from under Lind's eye.. though I didn't know him at the time) that thing was mechanically beat to shit... think it was used as a farm truck... had hay and straw in it... but never 70s molested. front end worn out, no padding in front seat. One throw out arm was broken off, and with a split case tranny you have to split the caseto change it, so drug the welder out to fix it.

the sun had burnt off the roof paint, and the dirt in the rockers made rocker rot... but that bus was much better than the typical W WA split. It became a daily driver for a while, and very helpful when I moved. was mechanically sorted when I sold it in 96 or 97... ( except it popped out of 4th if you took your foot of the gas...so don't take your foot of the gas in 4th) but I figure as it went to Utah/ Texas that isn't a very high rust area. Never been in the Northeast, so no salt undercarriage rust. And it had the original kick panels too.

basically, NOT a rustbucket POS.

Ya, I think it's a shame it was painted.. but it's not my bus anymore. Though it did have some cool cosmetic fuck ups from the factory
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

It'd look nice with the old paint and a camping box interior in it.
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
just wanted to step in here and say that bus has really nice front floors, and doglegs. It was sold in the W WA desert, then lived in Missoula MT from 62 till about 95, when it was drug to Idaho. Then Mike & I got it and took it to Oly... (yup from that teacher.... I think I got it out from under Lind's eye.. though I didn't know him at the time) that thing was mechanically beat to shit... think it was used as a farm truck... had hay and straw in it... but never 70s molested. front end worn out, no padding in front seat. One throw out arm was broken off, and with a split case tranny you have to split the caseto change it, so drug the welder out to fix it.

the sun had burnt off the roof paint, and the dirt in the rockers made rocker rot... but that bus was much better than the typical W WA split. It became a daily driver for a while, and very helpful when I moved. was mechanically sorted when I sold it in 96 or 97... ( except it popped out of 4th if you took your foot of the gas...so don't take your foot of the gas in 4th) but I figure as it went to Utah/ Texas that isn't a very high rust area. Never been in the Northeast, so no salt undercarriage rust. And it had the original kick panels too.

basically, NOT a rustbucket POS.

Ya, I think it's a shame it was painted.. but it's not my bus anymore. Though it did have some cool cosmetic fuck ups from the factory

It is a cool bus Clara, and Rain and I were talking about all the rust work that had to be done on it. I enjoyed having it. It's just funny how people's perceptions of what isn't theirs and what somebody else should do with it. Frankly, I'll roll it.. I'll get it back.

Busses have character, but the underside needed work and it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway. Rat look or not.

I have more photos of when I got it, what it's shape was, condition, so no problems here.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
Yeah I agree with Tribal on this. Boy havent we gone full circle on this. Now we are criticising people for making a nice full points restoration!!

It didn't look like a "full points" restoration. Wouldn't you remove the heater knob, the shifter, steering wheel, speedo pod, mirror arm, and wiring harness when painting the bus?

Antonio wrote that he painted it because his wife wouldn't let him park it in the garage, and now that its painted, it is/was for sale.

Last edited by SHSC on Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
My '55 westy looks quite a bit worse than that '54 and I don't intend to repaint it.

I think Antonio fucked up repainting that bus...he probably threw away 10-15K+ in whatever "restoration" he did and probably added only about half that to its value.

I also think that Evilbus fucked up selling that bus....although after reading some of his comments in this thread the bus probably should have never been in his hands to begin with.

Spoken like a rust bucket driver, there's patina, then there's rust. This bus needed it. So, would you have rather seen it turn into soil again? I actually advertised it for sale a few years ago for what I bought it for, all wishers, traders, nobody with the cash. I sold it to a guy who wanted to actually own one, but he's hit some times and now has to sell, I guess that may be the curse of this bus. Oh well, it's not yours, it doesn't belong to a community but I do respect honest opinions without the personal derogatory. I've known Antonio for quite a few years, and he's a guy who has fun with VWs, so do I. I don't get wrapped up in all the grandstanders who think that their shit doesn't stink.

It's funny to read this now, I don't take myself so seriously, neither should you.
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
zimblewinder wrote:

It didn't look like a "full points" restoration. Wouldn't you remove the heater knob, the shifter, steering wheel, and the speedo pod when painting the bus?

Antonio wrote that he painted it because his wife wouldn't let him park it in the garage, and now that its painted, it is/was for sale.

he and I are already talking about that.. Laughing
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Spoken like a rust bucket driver, there's patina, then there's rust. This bus needed it. So, would you have rather seen it turn into soil again? I actually advertised it for sale a few years ago for what I bought it for, all wishers, traders, nobody with the cash. I sold it to a guy who wanted to actually own one, but he's hit some times and now has to sell, I guess that may be the curse of this bus. Oh well, it's not yours, it doesn't belong to a community but I do respect honest opinions without the personal derogatory. I've known Antonio for quite a few years, and he's a guy who has fun with VWs, so do I. I don't get wrapped up in all the grandstanders who think that their shit doesn't stink.

It's funny to read this now, I don't take myself so seriously, neither should you.

i did find campingbox comment a bit bitter.

and even if everyone disagree with the paint, i still believe it's the only way to keep it from rusting away for good.

i see way too many bus for sell that are completely rusted beyond what i would bother to repair
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
Clara wrote:
I heard that Will Woods (who bought it from me and my ex when we split)...
After Woods got it home, the asshole called me to bitch that a fan belt and points broke on his drive to Utah at 60 mph. big fat whiney deal. What about thanks for making it a reliable barndoor with a sweet 36hp?

Actually, I called to tell you about a laugh I had getting it back and the fun we had getting it home, not to bitch.. You and Rain were a trip to meet up with. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. YOu guys certainly had a stash of stuff, probably still do...

And it's Wood as in tree, not as in forest. Laughing

hmm... guess it didn't come across as joking... so for years I've been saying you were an asshole when anyone asked my about that bus. Laughing guess it's your dry sense fo humour.

sorry about the "S" I'm really shitty with names... strange thing is I saw the pic Lind posted and KNEW instantly it was that bus...not sure why.

FWIW, I put some old pics up in the gallery.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94587
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94584
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94586

did need rocker repair and holes in the cargo floor patched. damn PO letting the rockers fill with dirt and rust out.

what up with no feng shui? this guy feng shuied my mutant houseplant to death, I was so pissed.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:

That's true....I'm a true rust bucket driver. I've never owned a painted bus....wait a minute, I take that back....I have a singlecab that was restored about nine years ago by the P.P.O. and here's a picture I took a few months ago;

Nice "restoration" eh?

Here's what it looked like after it was painted nine years ago;

That's true....my comment was a bit bitter and now that I reread it I probably should have wiped the sleep out of my eyes before adding my opinions......but the before and after pictures are just fucking shocking......
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, that Bus does not look like it needed to be restored. Myself, I would have fixed the rust and color-matched the repair spots. The original roof looks bad, that would be a tough choice on what to do there. The surface rust on the sides could be removed or minimized without damage to the original paint and reatining the original patina.

In my opinion it looks great now but I am more concerned with mistakes that may have been made. He wanted to restore it? Ok but do it right.

After just some quick looks, here are problems I see:
1. Mirror arm and various interior parts not removed before painting?
2. Decklid not removed before painting? May be it's just temporarily hung but I don't see a decklid hinge seal.
3. Cargo area possibly the wrong color - it looks very light.
4. Engine compartment should be primer, not Dove Blue.
5. Middle seat mounts wrong. (See below)
6. Mention in the ad of a "leather" interior. Do it original black or don't do it at all.

No comment on the Dove Blue as digital pictures and lighting can play tricks on colors. This could also apply to #3.

The middle seat mounts:

My ex-'55 Kombi cargo floor (all original):

I think it would be useful to use this forum to make sure the Bus is truly "restored" correctly.

All that said, I think my '54 Truck is more of a candidate for restoration than that Kombi was... and I will never do it (because I don't want to spend the money)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: