Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BD for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
In my opinion, that Bus does not look like it needed to be restored. Myself, I would have fixed the rust and color-matched the repair spots. The original roof looks bad, that would be a tough choice on what to do there. The surface rust on the sides could be removed or minimized without damage to the original paint and reatining the original patina.

In my opinion it looks great now but I am more concerned with mistakes that may have been made. He wanted to restore it? Ok but do it right.

After just some quick looks, here are problems I see:
1. Mirror arm and various interior parts not removed before painting?
2. Decklid not removed before painting? May be it's just temporarily hung but I don't see a decklid hinge seal.
3. Cargo area possibly the wrong color - it looks very light.
4. Engine compartment should be primer, not Dove Blue.
5. Middle seat mounts wrong. (See below)
6. Mention in the ad of a "leather" interior. Do it original black or don't do it at all.

No comment on the Dove Blue as digital pictures and lighting can play tricks on colors. This could also apply to #3.

The middle seat mounts:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My ex-'55 Kombi cargo floor (all original):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it would be useful to use this forum to make sure the Bus is truly "restored" correctly.

what is the consensus on #4?

i thought mine was to be primer as well, but after finding some DB under the brushed on grey paint and seeing pics of bricktops old '54 that had a DB engine compartment, i painted mine DB, not primer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this bus need to be repainted? there is next to nothing left of the paint and the rockers are kinda gone.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=85142

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
does this bus need to be repainted? there is next to nothing left of the paint and the rockers are kinda gone.

Gibbs....I'm not certain that bus is restorable.....better leave it the way it is. ;-)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

i thought mine was to be primer as well, but after finding some DB under the brushed on grey paint and seeing pics of bricktops old '54 that had a DB engine compartment, i painted mine DB, not primer.

I think the painting styles varied......Jeff Grants '54 deluxe has a primered engine compartment, my old '54 kombi had original paint all over it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

No comment on the Dove Blue as digital pictures and lighting can play tricks on colors. This could also apply to #3.

My ex-'55 Kombi cargo floor (all original):
I think it would be useful to use this forum to make sure the Bus is truly "restored" correctly.

That bus had a dove blue engine compartment... I remember cleaning black 'undercoating' off it and thinking the paint was gorgeous. this pic doesn't show the paint well at all:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94602

and my 53 has a painted engine compartment too.
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EvilBus wrote:
Clara wrote:
I heard that Will Woods (who bought it from me and my ex when we split)...
After Woods got it home, the asshole called me to bitch that a fan belt and points broke on his drive to Utah at 60 mph. big fat whiney deal. What about thanks for making it a reliable barndoor with a sweet 36hp?

Actually, I called to tell you about a laugh I had getting it back and the fun we had getting it home, not to bitch.. You and Rain were a trip to meet up with. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. YOu guys certainly had a stash of stuff, probably still do...

And it's Wood as in tree, not as in forest. Laughing

hmm... guess it didn't come across as joking... so for years I've been saying you were an asshole when anyone asked my about that bus. Laughing guess it's your dry sense fo humour.

sorry about the "S" I'm really shitty with names... strange thing is I saw the pic Lind posted and KNEW instantly it was that bus...not sure why.

FWIW, I put some old pics up in the gallery.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94587
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94584
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94586

did need rocker repair and holes in the cargo floor patched. damn PO letting the rockers fill with dirt and rust out.

what up with no feng shui? this guy feng shuied my mutant houseplant to death, I was so pissed.

ha ha.. I know how it is.. I'm not PC, but I do remember that weekend, it was funny as hell. I didn't think you thought I was a jerk, I called you up laughing about it. Oh well, that was like, what, 7+ years ago.. Laughing

Naw, I thought I was getting the house out of a divorce... Did Rain ever restore those 23s? Shocked

One thing sticks in my mind that I'll share. It was Clara the day I showed up to pick up the bus with my friend Rob. Anyway, she was complaining about all the stuff she didn't like, "wrong bolts, but we found the right ones." etc. And the regulator. You weren't happy about the regulator as I recall. "Wrong one..." Smile

See, you know your stuff, don't let anybody else say anything different.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

i think it would cower in fear at the first sight of a paint-gun
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyPanel wrote:
UZI wrote:

i think it would cower in fear at the first sight of a paint-gun

Fe + O2 = Rust. Paint it.. But in a tasteful way that allows the patina to be accurately reflected in the vehicle.. You could clear coat it? Shiney rust.

Actually, it's interesting in Houston there's a nice SC, rusty everwhere but the guy has an Ambulance light on top.. So, have fun with what you run.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
ha ha.. I know how it is.. I'm not PC, but I do remember that weekend, it was funny as hell. I didn't think you thought I was a jerk, I called you up laughing about it. Oh well, that was like, what, 7+ years ago.. Laughing

Naw, I thought I was getting the house out of a divorce... Did Rain ever restore those 23s? Shocked

One thing sticks in my mind that I'll share. It was Clara the day I showed up to pick up the bus with my friend Rob. Anyway, she was complaining about all the stuff she didn't like, "wrong bolts, but we found the right ones." etc. And the regulator. You weren't happy about the regulator as I recall. "Wrong one..." Smile

I don't know what he did with the 23s... he had unrealistic expectations of me, did some very messed up things, and got angry when I dumped him... I wouldn't say we're friends. He pretty much stopped going to VW shows after we split up. I believe he restored his 67 21, but I didn't bother to look at it.
It was funny how people were circling like vultures at that point.

I think the voltage regulator, while correct being round, had the wrong date code on it. Plus had only one correct 54-55 taillight on it, the other was 55-57 1/2. A little picky, maybe? Ya... it's easy to point out everything that's wrong... probably not the best way to sell a bus... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I had thought about sanding and painting the roof, actually.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
UZI wrote:

Gibbs....I'm not certain that bus is restorable.....better leave it the way it is. Wink

senator bricktop from pasadena, you haven't answered the question. we are not talking about restoration here, only repainting.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does somebody want to express my opinion for me? I have a headache after looking at the pics...

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

senator bricktop from pasadena, you haven't answered the question. we are not talking about restoration here, only repainting.

Gibbs, leave it alone.....
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EvilBus wrote:

I don't know what he did with the 23s... he had unrealistic expectations of me, did some very messed up things, and got angry when I dumped him... I wouldn't say we're friends. He pretty much stopped going to VW shows after we split up. I believe he restored his 67 21, but I didn't bother to look at it.
It was funny how people were circling like vultures at that point.

I think the voltage regulator, while correct being round, had the wrong date code on it. Plus had only one correct 54-55 taillight on it, the other was 55-57 1/2. A little picky, maybe? Ya... it's easy to point out everything that's wrong... probably not the best way to sell a bus... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I had thought about sanding and painting the roof, actually.

Well probably better that I didn't let him do the Doglegs and the Rockers then..

See, fun times..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
doveblue3 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I think the painting styles varied......Jeff Grants '54 deluxe has a primered engine compartment, my old '54 kombi had original paint all over it.

I guess it varies, I remember my '55 as being primer under the 3 other coats that were in there...

My '54 Truck is original primer. The apron is fully painted though.

So strike #4.

It's painted now, you can't go back so maybe we should help him move forward in a "correct" manner.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it'll be comiing back to me.

So, it stays in Texas.. And it won't be a trailer queen.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you EvilBus! I generally have a rule about old cars and old girlfriends not coming back... but I think this one might just work out.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
Well, it'll be comiing back to me.

So, it stays in Texas.. And it won't be a trailer queen.

get out the oven cleaner and strip that bitch back down to OG paint. j/k. congrats on getting the bus back. now drive it and enjoy it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Gibbs........you will get socked on yo grape Playboy if you put any kind of paint on that 53!!!!

And whomever painted that bus, well I don't want to get into that! It should have been left ALONE! Unmolested. Like Skimbo mentioned...........that og paint is a badge of honor! I have NEVER painted a bus and I never will (partly because I'm CHEAP!!!)!!!!! If it's og paint, it remains og paint. If someone did the honors and fucked it up, Primer baby!!!!

I had to give Linda and my 2 cents in this one. IT'S A DAMN SHAME!!!! And from what I can see in the pictures..........doesn't look like a Restoration. It's really too bad..................I need to go out side and beat down my neighbors dog on this one! And Bricky wasn't being derogatorive, IT'S JUST THE PLAIN TRUTH!!!!

Laydo

BTW.......my engine compartment is og dove blue, and it will remain that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjlux
Mr. No Show

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ain't O.G paint, primer will do fine, but 80's peach&white and suicide doors I don't think so! Laughing
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yup, it'll make a nice matching set...

I don't know about the oven cleaner. Think I should leave it out in a Texas hail storm.. Not...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: