Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Seat & Seatbelts in 'vert?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Rear Seat & Seatbelts in 'vert? Reply with quote

Greetings All:

Please excuse the intrusion from a Bay Window bus owner, but I am happy to say I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a Ghia sometime over the next several months. I am most interested in '67 to '70 convertibles, and have two questions:

1. Is it correct that *all* Ghia 'verts (at least through 1972?) came with rear seats?

2. Were any model years factory equipped with rear seat seatbelts? If not, are there factory mounting holes or obvious/easy places to mount aftermarket belts for the rear seat?

Due to my family situation, a back seat with lap belts would be a huge plus, which is why this info is important for me to know. I did a search on these questions but got conflicting answers, so I thought I would ask directly.

Thanks much for any input!
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

1) Yes, all verts up to 1972 had a rear seat. The rear seat is narrower than the coupe seat, so fitting a coupe seat won't work; however, installing a rear seat into a post-1972 vert is no problem.

2) Seat belts were never installed, nor was the rear seat set up like that. The selling point of the Karmann Ghia is that it's a car for just two people to drive and enjoy.

You can install rear lap belts if the situation calls for it. Search this forum, as the question has been posted before.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take out the rear seat bottom and use the bolts for the chassis to frame. This works fine.

ghiafreek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider the back seat of a Ghia as practical. The Ghia is a two - seater. The back seat is pure filigree, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the welcome guys, it's appreciated.

Point about the very limited utility of the back seat is understood. If I could even ocassionally have one or two of my 8 year-old twins sit back there for a 5 minute errand, though, it would help with spousal harmony. Wink It would also allow me to consider a Ghia over a Beetle as I look for a second ACVW to add to the family fleet.

Any other thoughts, please post or PM, thanks. Smile
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I would use the back seat for, my 4 year old.
I strap in his child seat in the middle so his feet can fit in between the front seats.

ghiafreek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: