Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What truck to buy?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: What truck to buy? Reply with quote

I know this isnt a VW question, but it kinda involves VW's so here goes.
I have a daily driver CRX but it is time to move on to something else. I'm basically looking for the smallest japanese pick-up with the largest towing capacity. I'm looking for something that can tow a bus on a full size trailer. I want to use the 4 wheel trailers so the bus wheels will be completely off the ground...no tow bars or dollies. I'm looking to get the best gas mileage for a daily driver yet enough power and weight to pull a big trailer and bus with as few problems as possible. Any ideas? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanLarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do what you want, you should really think about a Full sized truck. Towing a trailer that out weighs the tow vehicle will get you in a bind real fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for a split-window single or double cab. Put some monster brakes on it and a nice beefy engine.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd tow a trailer with a compact Japanese pickup. I've towed a 412 on a trailer with a V8 Dakota and it worked quite well, and somebody told me they towed a Rabbit on a trailer just fine with their V6 Dakota. So, my recommendation would be a V6 Dakota of some vintage for maximum economy/towing ability tradeoff. That being said, since I had a very limited budget, I couldn't find a pickup that wasn't either very old (think '50's) or completely destroyed for the amount of money I had, so I just bought a '89 Ford Crown Victoria LX with a 5.0. I just ordered some air shocks for the rear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be able to tow OK.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacoma or Tundra
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota has ALWAYS built a well-put together truck.
Nissans aren't so bad either.

I would look into a Tacoma if i were you.
Bucky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO opinion a Jap truck isn't heavy / large enough to do that kind of towing. I have a GMC Sierra w/ a 5.7L and have towed a number of busses on the same type of trailer you are talking about. It tracks well down the road and stops reasonably well with the extra 5000lbs pushing from behind. My biggest fear with a lightweight truck like Toyota or Nissan would be stopping. It's not to hard to find something capable of pulling the load, but controlling it when you're barrelling down the road at 60 mph is what you should worry about.

I think a similar thread to this was started a few months back, try a search.

"Got a lot to carry? Get a box."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing is not the problem it is the STOPPING. Generally a 3/4 or 1 ton have larger brakes then 1/2 tons. They generall have a heavier frames and suspensions also.
My opinion would be a GMC over Ford or Dodge.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above posts. You need a full sized pickup for a trailer to be safe. I would buy at least a 3/4 ton and prefereably a one ton. With gas prices so high there should be some reasonably priced trucks out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-250's are always nice.
77RedBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a diesel would save on fuel and give you a VERY powerful tow rig...

Josh

"If Ted Kennedy drove a Volkswagen, he'd be president today!"
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rednecks are wrong. The Toyota Tacoma 1/2-ton truck can haul a Bus with no problem. You will pay more for a Toyota, but they are more reliable and have a higher resale value than anything Detroit builds.

Don't get a diesel unless you're going to haul all the time. Cheaper fuel and more pulling power? Sure, but diesels cost between $3000 - $6000 MORE than a gas truck. So, if you aren't using the diesel every day, then you're wasting money.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota.
My friend has a old 4 runner that he hauls a big trailer with.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Ford man myself but I've looked at the new Titan 4 doors and they are sweet.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have trailer brkes then this redneck Wink says it would be safe to use a 1/2 ton or smaller truck. Short of that it isn't safe. Some of us with experience towing trailers with half tons have found this out the scary way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
The rednecks are wrong. The Toyota Tacoma 1/2-ton truck can haul a Bus with no problem. You will pay more for a Toyota, but they are more reliable and have a higher resale value than anything Detroit builds.

Don't get a diesel unless you're going to haul all the time. Cheaper fuel and more pulling power? Sure, but diesels cost between $3000 - $6000 MORE than a gas truck. So, if you aren't using the diesel every day, then you're wasting money.

Had no idea you were so damn smart. Very Happy

Braking and handling is the big thing with a lighter truck. I've got a tacoma, but it's a regular cab 2WD. I once pulled an Olds cutlass with a tow dolly. I made the first corner and the Olds kept going straight. It actually jacknifed the whole set up and pushed the truck sideways, stopping inches from the curb. The Tacoma has the "capability" of towing 3500 pounds, but I won't do it again. An extra cab 4x4 might weigh more and work better. 'Course I drive like an Ignoramous and I probably took the corner way too fast.
77RedBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a diesel might cost more, but you failed to mention the whole "lasts about twice as long between rebuilds and holds resale value a lot better" thing...try to be a little more open minded...and if he was to get a 'Yota, i would recommend a Tundra...

Josh

"If Ted Kennedy drove a Volkswagen, he'd be president today!"
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlesquared wrote:
Toyota.
My friend has a old 4 runner that he hauls a big trailer with.

Just a side note....old 4-Runners are way underpowered! 150 hp just aint enough!...neither is 170!
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota club cab. It’s a V6, four wheel disc, 5 speed and will tow 5000lbs no problem. It has the most towing capacity in its class. If you are going to use a trailer I would get a double axle with single axle brakes and stopping is no problem. I like this truck a lot and have had good luck with it so far, I have about 15,000 miles on it since new.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77RedBug wrote:
a diesel might cost more, but you failed to mention the whole "lasts about twice as long between rebuilds and holds resale value a lot better" thing...try to be a little more open minded...and if he was to get a 'Yota, i would recommend a Tundra...

Josh

I have an open mind, but you need to work on reading comprehension. I stated that if you're going to spend that kind of money on a diesel, then you best be using it all the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: