Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rust!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotstate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: rust! Reply with quote

Thanks bucky and bljones for the welcome. I ran across and ad for a 73 in my state, the guy sent me pics. he is asking 4 grand for the it,however it seems to have a lot of rust around the wheel wells and along the front hood and also down by the sides of the doors.How much rust is too much rust?? Is it expensive to have this taken care ofand what would have to done???

He had the engine replaced due to a fire with the old engine,has replaced brakes, wiring,cv boots,coil,electronic igintio??, fuel pump..thanks for the help...hotstate
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any rust is too much rust! J/K Sounds like a big,and expensive job to fix! Better off to spend alittle more money for a rust free Thing. Keep an eye out in the classifieds , they come up for sale pretty regularly. And welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust can mean cutting and replacing. Do you do body work? If not, Tim's got it right. A lot of money. Now is the rust cancerous, has it eaten into the body, big flaky holes? Or is it just surface rust? Becareful, if its bubbling or expanded at all that means is eaten in and hasn't flaked out yet, or fallen out of the soon to be hole. you know, you could stick your finger through it. Paint? If your going to fix rust it means painting. Old VW paint is hard to match. That means painting the whole car. Which brings up a bunch of questions. If your painting the outside should you paint the inside? That means striping the car inside and out. At that point how is the interior, like the seats and mats. Even though there's not alot there, it still cost money. Then there's the rubber. Talk about empting the bank. If your doing the paint and the seat covers, what would the car be with out a few new window seals and body welts.

I just drive mine as is. It has few dents and some surface rust. most of the rubber is shot, but what the hell, I bought both of mine, together for $1800.00. One is suppose to be a parts car, but I can't figure out which.

I think, for $4000 You should be able to find a really nice Thing.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description of the condition, it souds like he is asking about twice what I'd be willing to pay for it. Old, rusty stuff just is not worth a lot of money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: