Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'80 Westy Indicator Lights for Water & Battery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: '80 Westy Indicator Lights for Water & Battery Reply with quote

I have owned an '82 Westy, an '81 Westy, and currently own an '80 Westy. Both my '82 and '81 Westy had a metal toggle switch between the two sets of indicator lights that allowed them to be turned off. My '80 Westy does not have this toggle switch (instead, there is a green light where the toggle switch could/should be). These lights are always on and they obviously put a drain on the battery.

I just would like to know if the toggle switch was a factory option on the later models of the Vanagon and not on the '80 Westy? What can I do to get these lights on my '80 Westy to turn off and on so that they don't drain the battery?

Thanks!

P.S. The Samba is an awesome website! Thank you The Samba!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has modified yours, you can get used ones on ebay, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's going to sit for a few weeks at a time. To disconnect it just unscrew the 2 screws on front, pull out unit and unplug it.
Do this if its not going to be driven for awhile.
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....however, I do live in a colder area (with winter approaching), so I need all the starting power that I can get. Is there a way to install the toggle switch, or do I need to find and replace the indicator unit?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch was taken out for some reason, didn't work right, couldn't find another one that small, ect. Unless you have a good knowledge of electronics it might be easier to unplug it until you get a replacement. Look in the Samba classifieds for someone parting out a westy around 80-84, and see if you can get a used one reasonably priced.
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mighty!

You seem very knowledgeable about vanagons. I've seem some of your other postings and they tell quite a bit. Have a great day!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're Welcome, got most of my Vanagon learnin from lurking around the Samba, lots of smart and helpful people here.
Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the battery compartment under the driver's seat. You will find the power line (red) with an inline fuse for the sink water pump and indicator lights. Place a toggle switch in this line to interrupt the power and mount it either on the side or rear of the seat pedestal. It works like a charm (as long as you remember to turn it off) and no more dead batteries!
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, beaker, but I found one on ebay awhile ago and works like a charm. Good advice, though!

1980 VW Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: