Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early/Late 40hp heads
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Early/Late 40hp heads Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm in search of an early set of 40hp heads. I read from my original Speedwell sprint carb instructions that there are two different 40hp heads. Digging through my stuff, I find some 40hp heads that have the intake studs too far apart for the speedwell manifolds and I find one pair that have studs that match the dimensions.

So, I guess I'm trying to understand whether I do have these two different heads... or is one set actually a 36hp set.

TIA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd know it if you had 36hp heads. They feature half circle stands where the rocker shaft lays, whereas the 40hp and later have a flat stand.

The 1300 and later heads had angled intake ports, so they're easily identifiable.

That leaves you with the two types of 40hp heads. Break out with the measuring calipers and figure out which is which.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are 36hp heads... but the only reference I have are some 36hp okrasa pieces which dont answer my question.

Now, the weird part is the number on them is 311 101 373 A which I've seen reference in places that these are 1500 parts but the intakes are definately flat on these heads.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound like a 1200 part number at all, maybe it's an early 1500 head? (bus or type 3)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

311 = Type 3 and Type 3s never had anything less than a 1500 so...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know... 311 is a type 3 part... but I'm 99.9% sure the surface of the intake is flat, not angled like the 1500 heads. this is why I'm stumped.

Can someone measure the distance between the two studs that secure the intake manifold to the head? the stud spacing on these heads are just over 2 inches apart.
kekonaiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
I know, I know... 311 is a type 3 part... but I'm 99.9% sure the surface of the intake is flat, not angled like the 1500 heads. this is why I'm stumped.

Can someone measure the distance between the two studs that secure the intake manifold to the head? the stud spacing on these heads are just over 2 inches apart.

311 doesn't always mean T3, lots of 311 parts are for 211 and 111 and 113 Wink

How are you doing Dave? How's the family??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: