Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Rod Tube Rust
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Shift Rod Tube Rust Reply with quote

Anyone have their shift rod tube rust out? A section towards the front of my bus is rusted out on the bottom pretty good. Rust flakes were grinding on the shift rod, so I opened up the worst section, and cleaned the flakes/chunks out.

What fixes have you done to address this problem? By leaving it open, is it prone to rusting out the entire tube? Or will the opening on the bottom now act as a drain for any water that gets in there? I was thinking about welding a section of metal tube over the open section to seal it up.

what ways do you fix yours?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not sure about the repair, but a good way to keep it from rusting for the present would be to cake the holy snot out of it with bearing grease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Tube Rust Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
By leaving it open, is it prone to rusting out the entire tube? Or will the opening on the bottom now act as a drain for any water that gets in there? I was thinking about welding a section of metal tube over the open section to seal it up.

Hi Ragman,
Leave it open and it will be prone to rust due to the dirt & dust getting into there and this will also ruin the rear shift linkage shift bushings because of the added friction. If you weld a repair piece there and this ends up in one of the shift linkage bushings areas, the rough area will chew up the bushing and make shifting a pain. Even if not in a bushing travel area this could make it a real pain to install new bushings.
Best way to fix the problem is to cut off a shift linkage tube off a wrecked bus. Maybe a 1968-79 one will work? Then cut off your rusty one and weld into place.
After that make sure to get the front and rear tube to linkage seals from WW.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster-laster wrote:
I"m not sure about the repair, but a good way to keep it from rusting for the present would be to cake the holy snot out of it with bearing grease.

Very Happy Razz Very Happy grease is good Very Happy Razz Very Happy
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Tube Rust Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Ragman wrote:
By leaving it open, is it prone to rusting out the entire tube? Or will the opening on the bottom now act as a drain for any water that gets in there? I was thinking about welding a section of metal tube over the open section to seal it up.

Hi Ragman,
Leave it open and it will be prone to rust due to the dirt & dust getting into there and this will also ruin the rear shift linkage shift bushings because of the added friction. If you weld a repair piece there and this ends up in one of the shift linkage bushings areas, the rough area will chew up the bushing and make shifting a pain. Even if not in a bushing travel area this could make it a real pain to install new bushings.
Best way to fix the problem is to cut off a shift linkage tube off a wrecked bus. Maybe a 1968-79 one will work? Then cut off your rusty one and weld into place.
After that make sure to get the front and rear tube to linkage seals from WW.
Eric&Barb

Thanks for the advice. That is what I was expecting; however, I was hoping to be able to fit it without pulling the engine and transmission. Wink Maybe I'll get a temporary piece on there until something permanent can be done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: