Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Fuses Reply with quote

How many extra fuses are there on a 74 SB? i've already used 2 one perminant 12v for my stereo and one ignition one for my windshield washer, but i want to add a cigarette lighter and some more gauges and i want to make sure i'll have enough.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no extra fuses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm um, there were a couple on mine. what should i do for more fuses then?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seaside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Put in another fuse box Reply with quote

Add a fuse box, wire it.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you be more specific, like how'd i'd run more ignition fuses and such?
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you basically want accessories, which will be powered only when the car is on. In that case, you have to get the power from the downstream side of the ignition, so that will be when they're on. Most Auto Parts places have auxilliary fuse boxes, or you could even run an inline fuse or two, depending on how much you want to add, and how much of a load it will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seaside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Extra fuses. Reply with quote

What you do is think about how many more accessories you'll run. Most likely 8 amps fuses should be ok for most, unless you want to run a snow blower or hair dryer or something. Every thing electrical you put in needs a wire with DC current coming in and one going to ground. Put your fuse/fuse box in line between the source of DC current and the device, to serve as a circuit breaker, and ground your device to the frame, or a ground wire, depending where you device is located.

Think that for each device, you need appropriate gage wire, I guess 12 AWG or 14 AWG would do it for most things.

Tie it all up, tidy it and here you go. Draw it before if you want to think about it.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but my question is how do i expand the acessories?
shew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would have to make a connection from the existing fuse box or run an additional wire direct from the battery (if you don't mind the accessories being permanently powered). The wire you run would then need to be connected to either an inline fuse before going off to the accessories or a second fuse box fitted by yourself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: