Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Elec Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Elec Help Reply with quote

Last week i disconnected the cables to the gen and undone the cables to the battery becaus of battery corrosive build up on the terminals. So i bought that stuff to prevent corrosion, put some on the terminals cleaned up the ground strap. I had my wiring diagram and hooked everything up and gen light would not go out, bus was run for a total of about 30 secs. Turn it off go to the back and i wired the gen wrong because the PO had put the wires on backwards but right, he had D+ with the thin green wire( which i think caused it to get hot and burn up) and Df with the thick red wire. So i hooked it up the wire on the wrong terminals of the gen. So when i discover this I rewired the regulator and gen with the right guage wires but the gen light is still staying on. So i figure my regulator is shot and throw on two spare ones i have and the light still stays on, i go buy a new one and the light still stays on. My questions:
1.Is there a way i can test the gen before i pull it to see if its still good
2.Could the gen and regulator have been fried that quick
3. Could i have fried the battery
4.Is there something else i should check
5.I have a multimeter but not sure on how to use it, what test can i do to determine if the gen is bad while still in the car

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bet the farm on it , but you probably need to polarize the generator. Good explanation over on www.type2.com or in the Muir book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Auslander...this works for my 12v generators...

1) Disconnect the battery
2) Remove the fan belt
3) Remove the D+ and DF wires from the generator
4) Place a jumper wire from DF terminal to Ground/Earth

With a SMALL 8 amp BATTERY CHARGER, connect the Negative lead to Ground/Earth and touch the Positive lead to D+. The generator should run like a motor and draw about 6-8 amps. If it doesn't, the generator isn't functioning.
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy i didnt see the section for polarizing and i checked the generator area, goober im sending you a pm

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops wrong site.

Try this one http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/voltage_reg.test.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: