Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tire sie
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: tire sie Reply with quote

What is the correct size tire for a '67 kombi? what's the closest in standard, non-metric sizes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185r14 in a truck radial or a 195-75-14 in a passanger radial
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

Hi Volks,
Also make sure the tire you buy have at least a 1525 Lbs. wieght rating. Any less and you will get to enjoy sudden automatic lane changes whenever in high side winds and when semi truck bow waves hit you!!
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hi Volks,
Also make sure the tire you buy have at least a 1525 Lbs. wieght rating. Any less and you will get to enjoy sudden automatic lane changes whenever in high side winds and when semi truck bow waves hit you!!
Eric&Barb

Does this load rating also apply to lowered buses? what I mean is would a load rating of 1047 Lbs. on a lowered bus cause unwanted lane changes and/or sway and swerve? I am talking about a lower profile tire.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Hi Volks,
Eric&Barb

Does this load rating also apply to lowered buses? what I mean is would a load rating of 1047 Lbs. on a lowered bus cause unwanted lane changes and/or sway and swerve? I am talking about a lower profile tire.

It would depend opn the tire. With a bus the sidewall is what usually causes the most unstability. Most passenger tires have a weaker sidewall than a bus should have because of it's weight. I don't know if a lower profile tire would offer up more strength.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crofty would a smaller and stiffer sidewall (195-50-15) make it stronger and less flexable than lets say a 195-75-14?
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need a better Tire Sticky thread.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:

Hi Dubluv,
Yes, definitely. Plus the lower wieght rated the more likely it will blow out especially if you load up your bus.
Eric&Barb
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hi Volks,
Eric&Barb

lol, i really like that phrase : "you will get to enjoy sudden automatic lane changes "
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: tire sie Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Hi Volks,
Eric&Barb

lol, i really like that phrase : "you will get to enjoy sudden automatic lane changes "

Yeah 165R15s on a bus and a big semi... whoosh

First you get blown to the right as they pass you on the left, then you get sucked to the left once they get around you, lots of fun.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a tire manufacture that makes a low profile with a rating of 1100 or more?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:
Does anyone know of a tire manufacture that makes a low profile with a rating of 1100 or more?

i believe pirelli does
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:

Tire manufacturers are starting to use load index rating, so
a number such as 205/60R15 will be followed by a load index
number such as 91H.. The 91 is the load index rating, the H is the speed rating, in this case up to 130MPH.

An 89 Index represents a load capacity of 1279 lbs.
85 is 1135 and so on.

I have 185R15 91H Vredsteins and they have a great sidewall for my bus. Great ride too.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
dubluv wrote:

number such as 91H.. The 91 is the load index rating, the H is the speed rating, in this case up to 130MPH.

85 is 1135 and so on.

I have 185R15 91H Vredsteins and they have a great sidewall for my bus. Great ride too.

I know about the ratings and most of the ratings for the 195-50-15 out there are no more than 82 which is 1047. I was hoping to find something in the 1100 range at least. All this tire talk that has been going on lately has me paranoid and thinking that im gonna have a blowout if I run those 195-50-15 in the front and 195-60/55-15 in the rear. I dont know of anyone that has had a blowout running low profile tires. Is this just an urban legend type thing going around or has someone actually had a blowout because of their low pro tires??
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:
EvilBus wrote:
dubluv wrote:

85 is 1135 and so on.

I know about the ratings and most of the ratings for the 195-50-15 out there are no more than 82 which is 1047. I was hoping to find something in the 1100 range at least. All this tire talk that has been going on lately has me paranoid and thinking that im gonna have a blowout if I run those 195-50-15 in the front and 195-60/55-15 in the rear. I dont know of anyone that has had a blowout running low profile tires. Is this just an urban legend type thing going around or has someone actually had a blowout because of their low pro tires??

Well unless your at your GVWR for your vehicle you're safe. Load + speed puts lots of stress on your tire so, that's one of the factors why you see lots of blowouts in the summer. SO, unless you're heading to market loaded down with potato sacks you'll be fine. Now in my case if I
have Norcal Nick, myself, two of my kids, Sundial Camper and Skim in my 23. I need at least 91Hs... Laughing

If you're concerned, go the manufacturer website for your tire, the specs for load capacity are also on the sidewall as well.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thanks Evil, I have been going to different manufactures and it's pretty much the same deal 82,82,82. I dont think I'll be loading my ride with any potato sacks. It's my brother-in-law and sister-in-law that I have to worry about (heavy hitters) Very Happy .
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubluv wrote:
LOL thanks Evil, I have been going to different manufactures and it's pretty much the same deal 82,82,82. I dont think I'll be loading my ride with any potato sacks. It's my brother-in-law and sister-in-law that I have to worry about (heavy hitters) Very Happy .

Shocked maybe some E rated on 16.5s then.. Cut them fenderwells.

j/k
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBus wrote:
dubluv wrote:

Shocked maybe some E rated on 16.5s then.. Cut them fenderwells.

j/k

Oh, I already have the sawzall in hand and ready to make the first cut...............Fkcu NO!! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: