Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 w/no high beams
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: '67 w/no high beams Reply with quote

I can't get my high beams to light up on my '67 bus. When I flip the lever on the signal switch I can hear the relay click, but the low beams stay on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ukdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: headlights Reply with quote

Check all your fuses and your black box if you have one.My highbeams also wouldn,t come on because the bulb blew inside the light new bulbs are only 8.99 ish
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this same problem. And from everything I can tell, it's actually that little flasher box. Simple little 3-prong jobbie you can get down at the local Kragen. But it's worth checking the bulbs and everything else, first.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flasher is easy to fix too. I sandblasted (very lightly of course) the insides and after that greased the moving parts a little. If you hear the click, then the selenoid (sp?) is working but the little mechanical arm is most likely jammed. Or just replace it.
'65 Honda Dream
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights Reply with quote

ukdj wrote:
Check all your fuses and your black box if you have one.My highbeams also wouldn,t come on because the bulb blew inside the light new bulbs are only 8.99 ish

This has nothing to do with the 9 pin black box. I just went through all my wiring. Check all your wire connections here,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA.jpg

To check to see if your headlight relay is any good, do this...

-> on the headlight relay, put a temp. wire on the S terminal and ground it very quickly to the body while the lights are on. If the relay clicks and the light change from hi/low then the relay is fine, and problem exists somewhere else in the wiring. It is good to determine early in your trouble shoooting if the relay is good or bad.

I found my relay to be fine. My problem was in the turn signal switch itself. The brown wires going to the switch were broken at the soder points, and once I re-sodered them back on the switch, my brights worked again. If your relay is good, you might want to pull apart the turn signal switch and investigate.
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hi/Lo beamer went out on 66. I looked at the Wolfsburg West catalog
and saw what they sold to replace the unit, I went to the closest junkyard
and pulled that relay out of a superbeetle.
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing on my 67, I need to get it fixed

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely the High-low relay going bad or possibly a bad ground. As mentioned above, the 9-pin black box has absolutely nothing to do with high beams.

Edit-Just realized how old this thread was and who the last poster in 2004 was. Crying or Very sad
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had this problem too....what i was told is to hit the box with a hammer. i did that and my high beams worked again!! so hit it....see what happens, parts get old and gummed up sometimes. i haven't had a problem since. worse side of it is, you waste 10 minutes hitting a box with a hammer, and if it still doesn't work whatever. but hey its was worth the shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: '67 w/no high beams Reply with quote

tony1 wrote:
I can't get my high beams to light up on my '67 bus. When I flip the lever on the signal switch I can hear the relay click, but the low beams stay on.

I have same problem, new switch, relay did click and no high beams.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216098&highlight=

or look at my blog, a post from 19 February 2007, called:
'Dimmer relay goes to the operating room'
http://so-42.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html

If you open it you'll see how it works and can easily if there is a problem

good look
xavi
winmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem. I jus tbought the headlight relay from wolfsburgwest.com and that fixed it.
Good luck
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
The flasher is easy to fix too. I sandblasted (very lightly of course) the insides and after that greased the moving parts a little. If you hear the click, then the selenoid (sp?) is working but the little mechanical arm is most likely jammed. Or just replace it.

Just to clarify my old post. It was the high/low beam relay I was talking about, not the flasher. Just replace the word flasher, with relay... Embarassed
'65 Honda Dream
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whack relay with a small section of 2x4 (wood)...should unstick the relay...worked for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: