Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tilt steering wheel
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Tilt steering wheel Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has put a tilt steering wheel into a Thing. I am a tall sort of guy, and have a little trouble at times getting under the wheel. I have though of a smaller diameter wheel, but thought that maybe a tilt column with the stock wheel would be nice.
Also, any pros and cons concerning the non-vacuum distributor, compared to the stock vacuum distributor.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the smaller steering wheel route when I had my thing. It worked ok for me.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar problem, i have to do a funny movement with my foot in order to get into the car. i have a smaller wheel, but i want the car to be original. it is driven 90% of the time by my wife, who has no trouble getting in.

as for the distributor, stay with the original single or dual vacuum unit. the mechanical only will not perform well for street driving.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
i have a similar problem, i have to do a funny movement with my foot in order to get into the car. i have a smaller wheel, but i want the car to be original. it is driven 90% of the time by my wife, who has no trouble getting in.

as for the distributor, stay with the original single or dual vacuum unit. the mechanical only will not perform well for street driving.

I looked around for a VW tilt steering column, and never found one. I was mainly looking in the 80s VWs, because I think the earlier VWs never had tilt. I have yet to see one VW with tilt steering. I only looked for VW tilt columns hoping the it would ease the wiring issues.

If you went totally aftermarket and built it to work,,,,okay, but I never ran across any VW with tilt. Does anyone know of any VW with tilt steering? Id like to have it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard of someone putting in and modifying a rabbit column to get an intermitent wiper position in their Thing, I dunno if the column had tilt though. I know that airkewld.com offers some sort of adjustable column, but I remember it being pretty pricey. Their marketing is pretty lame, but I've heard fairly good reviews of their products. A few years back there was a fella that modified an oldsmobile column for his black 67 bug- I think he was from maine...

anyway- for what it's worth.... hope this is any help Confused

-The Pink One
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. i went to the site and looked for the column. They are a special order, and they have to build it for ya. $800.00. I think the smaller wheel option would be the best idea. Thanks all.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mentioned the Golf/rabbit column going in a Thing. thingtech.com That was Thomas A. that did that. It didnt have tilt though. I dont think he ever got the intermittent feature working, not sure though.

I checked out Air"Kewl'd"s site. Lame, and a rip off to boot. I recognized those tilt columns. ididit.com makes those columns, and they run around $300 if I remember correctly. Im on an Early Bronco list & someone ran a mass buy on those a while back & got the price down into the low to mid $200 range. So, eff AirKewl'd........ and get it without the sore ass included.

ididit.com or BCbroncos.com

Pinky wrote:
I thought I heard of someone putting in and modifying a rabbit column to get an intermitent wiper position in their Thing, I dunno if the column had tilt though. I know that airkewld.com offers some sort of adjustable column, but I remember it being pretty pricey. Their marketing is pretty lame, but I've heard fairly good reviews of their products. A few years back there was a fella that modified an oldsmobile column for his black 67 bug- I think he was from maine...

anyway- for what it's worth.... hope this is any help Confused

-The Pink One
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for all those wonderful comments "Matt". It really puts a smile on my face. As for the coloumn that is on my website, I installed one into a customers car, from ididit, and i include the borgeson joints, the superbeetle coupler, the steering wheel adapter and the mount to hold it into place. But as anyone who talk to me, (communication), I am not selling them because they are to pricey. We are in the process of building a tilt coloumn for around $300 and that will include every thing that you need to install it

Thanks again Matt for the effn comments! I look forward to doing a ton of business with you!

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
thanks alot for all those wonderful comments "Matt". It really puts a smile on my face. As for the coloumn that is on my website, I installed one into a customers car, from ididit, and i include the borgeson joints, the superbeetle coupler, the steering wheel adapter and the mount to hold it into place. But as anyone who talk to me, (communication), I am not selling them because they are to pricey. We are in the process of building a tilt coloumn for around $300 and that will include every thing that you need to install it

Thanks again Matt for the effn comments! I look forward to doing a ton of business with you!

I was simply pointing out that the tilt column you list on your site is available from the mfg. for substantially less coin. It did not specify on your website that you include additional parts with the column such as,,,,,"borgeson joints, the superbeetle coupler, the steering wheel adapter and the mount to hold it into place." I suppose that could drive the price up a bit. No problem on the effn comments, they are just my observations. I dont think we have any pending business, do we?
"Matt"
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mexican Bugs from the 80's on up have the same steering wheels as the Golfs & Jettas from the same year. I'm not sure what the column is like, but maybe tilt was an option on later cars. It's worth checking into with BeetleMex or someone like that...
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the late model mexi-bug steering shafts have a smaller spleen- no idea about tilt though...

-Pinky
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: