Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me about this oil filter?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Tell me about this oil filter? Reply with quote

Top right thumbnail.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4508431812&category=6019

The white thing in the middle of the fan belt!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me about this oil filter? Reply with quote

Hi Karl,
Made by Purolator for 40 HP and later engines. It takes a small amount of oil off the oil pressure sender area and runs it through a filter mounted as you see. Then drops it back into the engine case through a hollow stud, that replaces the original one that mounts the distributor clamp. It helps keep the oil cleaner, but does not get rid of much of the metal shavings a full flow filter does.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just put an old school (the guy I got it from tells me he's had it for over 10 years), Empi pump with filter on my engine. It was unused out of the box. whats up with it? Does it pump all the oil thru it?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a bypass filter and filters some of the oil.

It will clean the oil over time, but not protect your engine from debris.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckly wrote:
Hey I just put an old school (the guy I got it from tells me he's had it for over 10 years), Empi pump with filter on my engine. It was unused out of the box. whats up with it? Does it pump all the oil thru it?

Hi Buckly,
If it is the type that the filter mount is part of the oil pump cover, then yes it is full flow. Make sure to use WIX oil filter with its internal relief valve, or risk blowing a cheapie oil filter on a cold morning, and suddenly needing to rebuild the engine! Worth the extra cost, becuase the bearings last MUCH longer.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Buckly wrote:

Hi Buckly,
If it is the type that the filter mount is part of the oil pump cover, then yes it is full flow. Make sure to use WIX oil filter with its internal relief valve, or risk blowing a cheapie oil filter on a cold morning, and suddenly needing to rebuild the engine! Worth the extra cost, becuase the bearings last MUCH longer.
Eric&Barb

is wix a brand? I haven't seen it before, and my 57 dd panel came with a fram filter on the remote mounted filter I'd like to upgrade when I change it.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do a little research before install. I read somewhere that the empi was full flow, but there's always someone that disagrees(glenn).I checked the pump out before install, and can see no way the oil could not go thru the filter before it entered the engine. It came with a bosch filter I think og. Does the bosch have the relief valve? I also read that Napa filters have the relief valve. The only problem I'm having so far is I run the stock muffler. The drivers side exhaust heat riser gets in the way of the filter. I was going to modify the tube to make things fit.
BTW Its on a new engine I've been building the last couple weeks. Its going in tomorrow. The first time I've used a pump/filter so I'm hoping for a few extra miles out of it. I've also added an oil temp gauge.
Thanks for the info and input.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ronnie] is wix a brand? I haven't seen it before, and my 57 dd panel came with a fram filter on the remote mounted filter I'd like to upgrade when I change it.[/quote]

Hi Ronnie,
Yes, Wix is a brand name. You can just see the relief valve spring inside the oil exit hole in the center of the oil filter.
The vintage EMPI oil pump mounts the oil filter right of the oil pump and so far is the absolute best oil filter/pump ever made in our opinion. Of the present day manufactured oil filter/pumps, the one CB offers is the only one we would trust on an engine of ours. Yes this one does mount the oil filter to the left where it interfers with the heat riser tube from the left front of the muffler. So with these we saw, angle down a bit, have welded back together and redrill out the oil passages.
Eric&Barb
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the engine in and going. I didn't have time to modify my van exhaust to fit the fliter. I was going to reroute the heat riser tube slightly. I noticed that my thing muffler had the tube on the passanger side. I had just bought it so its brand new. I used it rather than the muffler designed for the van. I put the tail pipes on backwards and opposite so they hang down instead of up. Normally they kind of stick up and out through holes in the bumber. It actully looks good and I think has increased power alittle. I'll post a pic in my gallery later.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some good pics of the purolator i uploaded a while back

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=6120
http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=6119
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's from one of the photos:
Kommercial wrote:
Weird german oil filter- purOlator

found on a 1960 40hp, this bolts to the 2 left studs on the generator stand/case. the long tube bolts to the oil pressure switch. Oil goes from switch, thru filter then down thru a hole that is machined thru the bolt that replaces one of the studs on the case that holds on the generator stand. Made in W. Germany

I have an NOS one of these I was going to try.

Question: if it intercepts the oil at the sender then returns it to the case via a hollow screw at the generator stand, won't that significantly reduce the oil pressure having an open ended system like that?

Back in the day this was the only VW authorized filter and was sold and installed by the dealership. Purolator sold it through car part stores.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464081&highlight=purolator
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the instructions. They came in the box.

Do you see how it is an open ended system?
See how it twins off the oil pressure switch?
Won't it make the oil pressure less?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of figured, but thought it would be nice to have here for future inquires. Ours came with last vestiges of box and no instructions...

Hole going thru is so small that it is going to drop oil pressure a tiny amount, that the oil pressure relief valve will adapt to.

Now if the holes was same size as the oil sender hole it would make a big drop in that part of the circuit....
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
...the oil pressure relief valve will adapt to.

Now if the holes was same size as the oil sender hole it would make a big drop in that part of the circuit....

Good point about the pressure valve. I hadn't thought of that.

At idle, with very hot thin oil, I don't want to acquire a flicker and low pressure to boot. At idle, with hot oil, I'd think the valve is fully closed so having anything open ended, albeit small diameter, that it would drop the pressure.

Guess I'll be the guinea pig.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us have found that the "Flicker" if the engine is in good shape is due to running just too hot. We run oil temp and oil pressure gauges and keep oil temp below 220F. On both the big bore 40 HP and 1641 SP engines slowing down to get the cruising RPM @ 3,000 RPM (installed FF transaxle) solved that 95% of the time. We are running vintage EMPI oil filter pumps on these engines and have gone thru to improve cooling, like cleaning out head fin casting flash and drilling open fins to pass more air thru (see how to in the 63-67 workshop manual for 40 HP heads to get idea how to do 1600 heads) , to bigger cooling fans. On the 1641 have gone to type 4 cooler (40% bigger than stock DH and smaller Porsche gen pulley for more fan RPM to pump more cooling air over the engine. These last two have seemed to fixed the last 5% of the time problem of oil flicker for the 1641.
For the big bore 40 HP we just drop down on cruising RPM to around to about 2,800 which in turn kept the oil temp below 220F and no flicker.
All of the above running Castrol 30 Wt. during hotter weather and 10/30 Wt. from Memorial to Labor day weekend.

Have not tried any of the above with the filter yet...

Will be interested to hear how it goes for you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: