Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

ok guys

what can you tell me about this cool pic?
from p126/127 of colin burnham’s book ‘classic volkswagens’
i.e. what’s the story behind the barndoor deluxe?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that "Cherry Pie" add'n info on Hall of Shame on VintageBus.com that's Chuck D's single cab in the front row.
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
Isn't that "Cherry Pie" add'n info on Hall of Shame on VintageBus.com that's Chuck D's single cab in the front row.

Chuck's Truck had a roof mounted antenna and a homemade roof-high set of hoops and wood slats???

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beige double door on the right side of the photo is owned by my in-laws. The bus is restored now....

The barndoor deluxe is cool, safari's and all...

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Brendan, even though I was at that show, all these years it always seemed in my mind that that was his, my mistake. Maybe he drove the wale to that one.
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go John...

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I remember, if you look closely at the first pic, you will see he actually has the magazine photo of "Cherry Pie" on the ground by his feet.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit Skim whattya got X-ray vision? Even with my "old man" reading glasses on I can't see that.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah Rockstock wanted to know the story behind the bus, the story is that a guy by the name of Daniel Holthaus a highschool classmate of the infamous VW and surf/skateboard huckster Ed Economy owned it and did the restoration (using the term restoration loosely). When he had the bus it had a wood 2X4 rear bumper, but looks by that Burnham pic the guy who has it for sale in the pic, (who is not Daniel) already had removed the wood rear bumper and put a pressed bumper on the front of it. Gotta love his decklid prop! I think that may have been the bus that Little Carlos (not guzman) bought and had Chuck D weld in the hole where the front glass sunroof was and the rear wheel arches but not sure. If it is the one it is primer grey and been on the road for the last 5 years.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff, thanks

i like hearing about the other busses in the picture. is it SOTO 1985? i like the picture because of the way - over time - it has taken on a slightly different meaning (i.e the high value of barndoors, and specifically deluxes)

how much was it for sale for? did it sell? the bloke had some nice spares too. so he’s done away with the flared arches, the alloys, the tyres, the tinted windows…

are there any pictures around of it in its present guise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
great stuff, thanks

i like hearing about the other busses in the picture. is it SOTO 1985? i like the picture because of the way - over time - it has taken on a slightly different meaning (i.e the high value of barndoors, and specifically deluxes)

how much was it for sale for? did it sell? the bloke had some nice spares too. so he’s done away with the flared arches, the alloys, the tyres, the tinted windows…

are there any pictures around of it in its present guise?

If it is indeed Carlos' Bus then it's had the wheelwells and roof patched, all the proper pieces installed where they might not have been, and it is now in grey primer. A MAJOR improvement from those 80's livin' days.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like she's back!

ian macdowall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like it two tone red Cool the ambulance step is cool.
lk2surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Previous Owner Reply with quote

Hey All,

I owned this machine for a while and had a lot of fun with it. I was 17 and bought it from the guy in the first photo around 1987. I had no idea it was a frankenstein machine and he definitely didn't tell me when I bought it. That said, I proceeded to fix the "meats" and drove it around N. County San Diego surfing at Leucadia and Carlsbad. I loved the working semaphores and the fact that it had no gas gauge which I ran out periodically. I had a dipstick which always said "you can make it" and periodically did not...lol. A lot of good surfing memories in this machine with an electric cooling fan and kill switch until I traded it for a 58 deluxe. I actually still have an NOS reflector that goes below the taillights if anyone is interested..hit me up. Good memories..hit me up if you want to swap stories.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

Current owner's page:
http://ameblo.jp/heb-matsui/

Photo

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

Cool Everett!
When I read the topic, it felt like a deja vu. I knew that I had seen the photo from Colin burnham's book but it needed a while until I realised I often looked through his book when I was 8 lol Very Happy
Nice bus indeed
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

What show was this originally at at the fist pic?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

'No less than 460 pre-1968 Type 2s turned up at the 4th Anniversary SoCal SOTO (Society of Transporter Owners) meet; the happening for Split-screen freaks'

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=99577
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

Book's description says it was the 4th annual SOTO meeting.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Colin Burnham Barndoor Deluxe - Cherry Pie Reply with quote

Cool post from another thread!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701335&start=40

matthew henricks wrote:
Bare with me. I was very young at my first SOTO meet. Maybe 12. Dad took me along. Garden Grove. 1980-something.

I remember Garden Grove, Dear Park and many other places as i grew up learning how to drive, work on and restore buses. (OK, a bug too) Somewhere we have all of our old new letters still. Fun to read the ads.

Flash forward 10 years or so. I was at a local book store and found the book "Classic Volkswagens" by Colin Burnham. Read the bus section of the book in the store since Charlie and his commercial buses were featured. That was unusual back then and Charlie always had time for my stupid questions. A great read. What does this have to do with SOTO you ask?

I got to the back cover.

(Why is this picture sideways Everett????)

A SOTO meet from 1980-something.

Hey, i was at that show. I remember it. My first SOTO and first VW show ever.

Hey, wait a minute. THAT IS ME IN THAT PICTURE!!!!

Goofy kid looking lost in front of the green 23 eating something. Dad a few steps ahead saying "Come on, lets go"....

Bought the book!!!

Have owned the same 1960 Single Cab we drove to that meet for the last 30 years.

So 1987, Garden Grove, Deer Park.
Regarding the book, it looks like there were different cover for the US/UK.
(Should have nagged your dad to buy the deluxe)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: