Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which bus would you do?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you & your friend both pass on the DD< I know someone who might be interested...*ahem*
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwspijlbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the age factor!
56!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DD looks more solid to me. But the 56 is charming in it's own way. The DD already has the matt grey paint done, 'cause that's what every rodder would want, no? Cool
Benfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say keep em both, keep the DD stock and slam the '56, if you have to.

-----
1967 21-Window Restoration
1966 Kombi/Benfalia Conversion Boardin' Bus
1958 Double-Door Panel Restoration
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys,
If I do the DD as a "hot rod" bus I'm going to drop it on a narrowed adjustable beam with dropped spindles. Type 3 tranny, running randars or Fuchs. Not so low as to have to cut into the wheel wells. I'll probably run a stock 1600 until my budget will allow a Raby motor. I want a bus I can do burn outs and show off with.
As for the body, I'm going to have the front floor patched, body smoothed out and put an epoxy primer of light puke green on the bus. The bus was delivered in dove blue but sometime in the buses life it was re-painted a light, "hospital tile" green. I believe this was the color that the bus lived most of it's life in. I kinda like the sick green color as it's different.
If I do the 56, it will pretty much be the same minus body work of course.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought...but why not turn one into both? Just paint a logo on the side of the DD & call it done. It won't be original, but from the mods you're talkin' about, I'm not guessing that OG is a major factor. This way you can have both & it'd be a whole lot easier to fake a logo than to hack doubledoors into a regular panel...
if I were thinking of rodding one, I'd get the double door...paint it flat black, paint a logo on the side for like a Rod & Custom shop or somethin' cool like that, then age the hell out of the paint with really fine sandpaper. but instead of fuch's I'd do stock wheels painted red with 2" whitewalls...and some fuzzy dice...and a sparkplug in the tailpipe to shoot flames when you hit the throttle. Twisted Evil Then I'd put a stereo in it so I could drive around listenin' to rockabilly all day, and hook up with a girl who looks like Betty Page. But then that's me. Cool My bus is parked next to my '69 Camaro, so I don't quite fit the mold...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
23window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logoed 56.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would normally lean to the older one if the condition were the same but i would go w/ the DD in your case. either way, you can't do wrong!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoBusDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pimp either one. You could paint "original style" logos onto the DD and age them using various procedures mentioned in previous posts. I was seriously considering doing just that to my DD '57.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magicbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay stock- be the bus
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the 56, btw i'll take the dd in trade on the the sheetmetal work on the 56 Twisted Evil. Top that one suka's Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly, you better watch out! I might just take you up on that offer! If you pm me sometime I need to ask you some stuff about some stuff!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell you know me i would let you, something about a dd perks my bus itch. Twisted Evil . Email me at [email protected]. I forget pm's. also ck aim under metwiz2 during shop hrs & saturdays
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: