Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 and 1600 split screen bus script info wanted.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: 1500 and 1600 split screen bus script info wanted. Reply with quote

Hi Volks,
We have seen the 1500 script several times on split screen buses. Have found a small stash of 1600 scripts that are the same as the 1500 except the "5" has been turned into a "6". We are selling them on Thesamba. See:

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92791

For the image of these two scripts. We are interested in ANY info on these scripts, including, OG VW buses dates of manufacture they are on and if anyone has any paperwork or other info on these scripts.
Thanks,
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically the 1963 was offered with a 1500 as an option and had this script on the eyebrow over the license light. In 64 the 1500 was standard. No pre 67 bus was offered with a 1600.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
No pre 67 bus was offered with a 1600.

Hi Spookymulder,
If you mean the 1600 was not a standard or optional engine from the factory for the N. American market, we agree. Would be interesting to find out when the 1600 P&Cs were first availible from the aftermarket to be fitted into the 1500 engine. We have seen an original VW dealer photo of the 1964 model line. In this photo each VW model had a sign where the front license plate would be with the engine size, 1200, 1500, and the split screen bus had "1600" in this! Must have been a market area VW decided to test the 1600 engine in.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a one of those. I seem to remember that it came off of a '66 type 3. it came off of a type 3, I am not positive that it was a '66 though. type 3s were the first to have 1600 engines. I think that '66 was the first year for 1600 pistons in type 3s. I don't think that buses got 1600 pistons until '71 or so. ahhh late model crap. Wink those scripts are cool though. if I had any buses with 1600 engines, I would run one on my bus. but alas 1500 is the largest engine I have in a bus.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lind,
Actually for the N. American market the 1600 was standard in the bus at the start of the 1968 model year and went through 1971. In 1972 the type 4 engine came out for us. While in Europe the 1600 upright was still availible till at least 1979, but have not found out if it was an option or standard engine during that time in that market.
So if someone here in the USA has a 1972-79 bus and blew thier engine they can get from Euro this special 1600 upright tin so they can fit in the earlier engine in the later wider opening.
We have found locally a very early 1968 panel still owned by the original owner which has this same 1600 script on it.
As of yet all the type 3 engine size scripts we have seen were stamped out of aluminum like the 1963-67 rear bus "Volkswagen" script. Where this 1600 script is cast and chromed just like the earlier bus 1500 script.
Interesting to hear that the type3 had the 1600 here as early as 1966, and perhaps this script was for bus owners that upgraded thier engines to the 1600cc size at the time.
Eric&Barb
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the type 3 script in 1500 and 1600 format is of a larger size than the type 2 1500 script
Rex Surewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think brazillian and south african split buses had "1600" signs on them.. Maybe that what you got?
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCode
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1500 Script

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi E&B;

This is what my bus has. I've seen this emblem in that exact location and orientation in Brazilian split screen buses. Hope to catch up with you at an upcoming WetWesties campout or swap! Regards, Cris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous bus was a '65 and it came with the 1500 on the engine lid. Though I run an 1835 now, I kept the 1500 just 'cause it's kool! Cool

Sorry for the "lousy" pix:

fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Surewood wrote:
I think brazillian and south african split buses had "1600" signs on them.. Maybe that what you got?

I've never seen anything like E&B's scripts on a SA bus.

The SA-assembled Brazilian Fleetline buses had similar scripts to Beetles, set diagonally across the top left of the engine hatch:

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
I believe the type 3 script in 1500 and 1600 format is of a larger size than the type 2 1500 script

Hi Spookymulder,
Also the type 3 script has very round numerals especially the zeros. Where the 1500 and 1600 bus script has very square numerals.
Eric&Barb
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Surewood wrote:

Hi Rex,
We would not be suprised if this bus 1600 script was also used there and other markets. The dealer photo that we saw had what looked like bus, bug, and type 3 that were sold here in the USA in 1964. Pretty sure all three of these VW models were not built and sold to or in any market after 1967.
Eric&Barb
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
Hi E&B;

This is what my bus has. I've seen this emblem in that exact location and orientation in Brazilian split screen buses. Hope to catch up with you at an upcoming WetWesties campout or swap! Regards, Cris

Hi Cris,
That looks like what was used on the bug here in N. America. Interesting!
Eric&Barb
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
My previous bus was a '65 and it came with the 1500 on the engine lid. Though I run an 1835 now, I kept the 1500 just 'cause it's kool! Cool

Hi PyrOman,
Would you have any or all of the codes from the Mcode plate from your old '65?
Eric&Barb
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so looking at those pictures of brasillian and south african buses, the script is on the opposite side for the RHD buses. cool attention to detail.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: