Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Trends Magazine R.I.P.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: VW Trends Magazine R.I.P. Reply with quote

Just received an email from the editor of VW Trends...it looks like Primedia is dropping the magazine from it's publications list.

VW Trends is gone...just like that.

Crying or Very sad
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll believe it when i see it.
post the email.
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Here it is... Reply with quote

Here's the email...

"Guys,

I wanted you guys to be the first to know: Primedia has decided to cancel the publication of VWTrends, effective immediately.

Believe me when I say that this doesn't come as a big shock to me. The writing has been on the wall for months and I've tried to fight it. Over the past many months, you may have noticed that the number of ads in the magazine was steadily dwindling from around 40 pages to less than 20 pages in the March 05 issue (which won't even be printed I hear). Because of this, it was decided that after 28 years and 268 issues (65 of which I was the editor) in print, VWTrends was no longer worth the financial effort. In short, it was killed because nobody bothered to pay attention to it.

Since many of you on this list write/shoot for me (and most of which are owed money, I'm sure), I no longer have any authority to issue checks. However, tomorrow I plan to speak with Howard Lim (my ex-publisher) to find out what it takes to set you all straight. I don't want any of you to have to sacrifice because Primedia demands higher profits. Others of you advertised in the magazine, and if you've prepaid because of a contract, I'm sure you'll get a refund. Check with your ad rep to get that straightened out. But all of you, I just wanted to say good bye to.

Because of a family emergency today, I was out of the office, so I got laid off over the phone (so much for five years of loyalty); I wasn't given the opportunity to say a formal good bye to my co-workers and friends I've made along the way, so here I am at 1am on my wife's computer. I would like to thank you all for supporting me over the years, for answering my asinine questions, for always smiling for the camera, for putting up with my pestering tech articles, my odd ideas and my sometimes off-the-wall editorials... but most of all, I'd like to thank you all for accepting me and for helping me bring to the readers the best magazine possible. When I started this job, I didn't know a whole lot about Volkswagens, but you've all helped me become the enthusiast that I am today, and before I drift off into the sunset, I want to simply say thank you.

Just remember what I've always said, "People will never appreciate VWTrends until it is gone."
Well, now it's gone.

Maybe I'll see you around,
Ryan Price"
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy oh boy if that's true that really sucks... i mean, this place will most likely have mixed reactions, but i, myself, preferred it over Hot VW's... but i do suppose no good thing can last forever...
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks to be sure.
Ive always been a big fan of the magazine and a contributor on a few occassions as well. I think it is a horrible shame that this is happening.

Im not sure if anything can be done to stop it, but if there is a way, I would love to see it stay.
951-795-1175
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if it ain't one thing, it's another!! Dayum! I've written a few articles for them, too. Maybe I should run out and get the Feb '05 issue...just to have the last one.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be back to buying toilet paper again.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a free market system people tend to buy things they need, want and place value on. People stopped "paying attention" to that mag because it ceased being a reputable and informative magazine for our culture.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

april 2006 is my subscription.. what now??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,crap! I just mailed my renewal in also.Paid up til June 2006,bastards Evil or Very Mad
Christopher Gilbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:
Yeah,crap! I just mailed my renewal in also.Paid up til June 2006...

Same here! The biggest bummer is that my car was supposed to be featured in the March or April issue... Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Gilbert wrote:
vgajames wrote:
Yeah,crap! I just mailed my renewal in also.Paid up til June 2006...

Same here! The biggest bummer is that my car was supposed to be featured in the March or April issue... Sad

And mine was supposed to be featured in Classic Tractor Magazine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rolling Eyes
Christopher Gilbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatboyOverthrow wrote:

And mine was supposed to be featured in Classic Tractor Magazine

I am not surprised one bit.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per what Crofty said, I have to agree. For me, the only redeeming things in the magazine were the efforts of Kathy Jacobs and Stephan Szantai as well as a few of the freelance efforts (Michael Meyer's Super Street articles were cool, too) but seeing mispublished addresses and phone numbers and things like the SE Dyno Day fiasco I think all did a certain number to tearing down credibility.

Mind you, I've had my own negative history with the magazine and so I'm seeing this through a different set of eyes but I'll be the first to say that I hate to see anyone lose their job around the holidays, especially with a family to support. Though I had my beef with the mag, I do express my sincerest wishes to Ryan Price in finding a new job and also thanks to keeping the magazine going as long as he did. Competing against the shelf-and-sub numbers of the ricers is not an easy thing to do; and those ricer magazines put out some crazy numbers in terms of sales.
That's the sad thing about publishers like PRIMEDIA, huge corporate conglomerates have set standards for what is acceptable and worthy of keeping afloat.
I sure do miss the days of McMullen and Yee, when the publisher was a wee bit smaller and things a little more simpler (the Leadbetter years)...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Confused

I've subscribed to both mags since '87. Basically only to keep those editions that include an event where either I participated on or one of our club sponsored events. I guess now more than ever the Feb '05 will become a treasure for me since it covered the FamilienFest 10 and did so in one of the best ways any of our events has ever been covered.

Cool
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just let my subscription lapse... then again, I've been letting a lot of subscriptions lapse lately. I think I'm down to only 4 or so magazines a month and only one is VW related.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:
Yeah,crap! I just mailed my renewal in also.Paid up til June 2006,bastards Evil or Very Mad

I just started receiving my subscription (got it through my nephews fund raiser) and I was looking forward to the bus rebuild they started. I only got the last three issues inlcuding the one for Jan or was it Feb? Oh well, it's still upseting. Dammit! Evil or Very Mad
The German Addiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="FatboyOverthrow"]i think i'll believe it when i see it. quote]

But there is a new magaine coming out in March.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
veedo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: not to be Reply with quote

Maybe someone will start a new mag. no wonder I have not seen my issues in awhile. I guess my cars will have to be featured in a nother mag.
southeastvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWMint65 wrote:

But there is a new magaine coming out in March.

http://www.thegermanaddiction.com/

Thanks for the comments Bugnut. Good to hear that my stuff was appricated! Don't hear it to often, at least from those guys in CA! Evil or Very Mad
Glad I decided to leave before this happened! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: