Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rear main seal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfRaider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Replacing rear main seal Reply with quote

Hey gang, I will be replacing the rear main seal on my 85 hightop 4 speed manual trans. and would like any advice you may have. I have removed the transmission and replaced the throw out bearing and cv axles before, but I have never taken the clutch out and done a seal replacement before. I have the Bentley book downloaded and ready to go. I have the parts and the special tool for the alignment. Im a little nervouse and would appriacate any guidance and help. Thank you for your time.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear main seal. Reply with quote

Have you done a search for "Replace Rear Main Seal"? Title only:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear main seal Reply with quote

2 points. It is best practice to measure the crank end play prior to removing the flywheel. You recheck it after you have the flywheel reinstalled.

Besides the main seal, there is an O ring that is “inside” the flywheel hub that seals where the crank and flywheel meet. Change that.

Ok 3 points. Now would be the time to inspect the mainshaft pilot bearing press into the end of the crank. Replace it or at minimum work some grease into the rollers.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear main seal Reply with quote

Watch “the man” completing this operation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7lpH4TDA7M

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear main seal Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
2 points. It is best practice to measure the crank end play prior to removing the flywheel. You recheck it after you have the flywheel reinstalled.

Besides the main seal, there is an O ring that is “inside” the flywheel hub that seals where the crank and flywheel meet. Change that.

Ok 3 points. Now would be the time to inspect the mainshaft pilot bearing press into the end of the crank. Replace it or at minimum work some grease into the rollers.

this
and buy a high quality seal and not the cheapest you can find. they are different.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear main seal Reply with quote

Use a Sabo seal and always replace the pilot bearing if there are many miles on it. The pilot bearing is very often the first piece in the clutch kit to fail and will eat up your input shaft when it does. I also usually replace the clutch disc while I have access, even when the disc still has a lot of life in the lining, the springs may be close to failure or have already failed. I seldom replace the clutch cover or have the flywheel turned unless they look really bad, either from wear or heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: