Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'87 Westy: 15" wheel conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I guess I got lucky. I did my research and found a set of rims that fit the syncro with just longer studs on the rear. $100 on craigslist.

Because Syncros can handle many Audi fitments without modification, the above rant only applies to 2WD. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe T: well said, great essay.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this isn't going overboard with applause for Joetiger, but his articulation of my search for 15" wheels for my 2wd was so accurate I gave up and accepted that I am just going to buy new tires for my 14" alloys. Thanks!

-Rob
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, joetiger's assessment of the situation is exactly why I do what I do. I hear from people who struggle with this every day. For anyone who is reading this, buy from me or not, I'm always happy to help people figure the ins and outs of installing wheels. I have one customer who has sent me links to probably 25-30 different wheel sets so far in an effort to find wheels that suit his needs/wants. He sends me the links and I return a brief punch list of the requirements for those wheels. Assuming he finally finds a set that suit him and his needs, we will then go into the details that it takes to install them.

Some people do come to the conclusion that it's easier for them to just buy wheels from a common source. However, the majority who push through the process of finding and installing a set of wheels from a Mercedes or Audi/VW end up saving money (no matter whether it's a little or a lot). It takes patience and perseverance to go your own route versus just buying a ready made wheel set, but the results can be rewarding and can often times solve needs, wants and problems that simply cannot be covered by the ready made wheels.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way. I am all for people doing whatever works for them. Yes, it's part of how I make a little bit of money, but I just wanted people to know that I am always willing to help them out in any way possible...money or not.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Yes, it's part of how I make a little bit of money, but I just wanted people to know that I am always willing to help them out in any way possible...money or not.

Chris, you are a stand-up guy! That is so good to hear.

I just got a set of 16" CLK's. Not mounting them this year - you'll likely here from me when I make my tire decision. I'm also picking up a set of MB 15" steelies - at the very least, I'll need one as a spare to clear big brakes some day. And if I should find those low ET 16" MB Steelies, I'll get them too. Got to give them something to talk abut at the intervention...
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Fhak915
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear from people who struggle with this every day. For anyone who is reading this, buy from me or not, I'm always happy to help people figure the ins and outs of installing wheels. I have one customer who has sent me links to probably 25-30 different wheel sets so far in an effort to find wheels that suit his needs/wants. He sends me the links and I return a brief punch list of the requirements for those wheels. Assuming he finally finds a set that suit him and his needs, we will then go into the details that it takes to install them. [/quote]

I must say Chris is very helpful. He knew exactly what wheel I had and the parts were a perfect fit. Thanks for your help Chris. I ordered some spacers back in december and finally upgraded the brakes and suspension. I am loving the way my van looks. I should take back the comment that it was a "waste of time." I like having a van doesn't have the same GW or VC wheels you see on so many vanagons. Something a little different is nice.

Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: