Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wishing for a time machine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: wishing for a time machine Reply with quote

sometimes when I see the pictures of cool vws that were for sale back in the 60s and 70s, I wish I had bought one, and kept it in pristine condition. of course, the price that seems so low now, would have been high then, but it we could just slip back purchase say, a brand new camper, and drive it back to the present.

then I got thinking about the 87 vanagon we bought brand new. 24 month warranty, and it was in the shop 26 times. average of once a month. mostly related to fuel delivery problems, but not properly diagnosed for a while.

the last thing to go out was the power steering pump. pretty pricey in 89. I remember the mechanic telling me too bad it is just out of warranty. I demanded they cover it, and based on the service history, they finally did.

after that, we traded it in. It was a beautiful van, the first we had bought new. our 80 and 83 didn't have the breakdowns that one had. I often wonder if it was just a lemon or if we would have finally fixed everything and it would have been ok. some friends liked our so well, they bought one too. they didn't have the problems that our had.

but I wish we had bought a 90 westfalia brand new, babied it and still had it...
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbiej, thanks for the memories. We bought an '89 Vanagon brand new -- in March of 1989. It was what we now call the American version of the "Blue Star" (Wolfsburg). It was our main family car for 10 years, actually mostly my wife was the main driver, while I had another car for going to work, etc. I can't count the trips she made driving 3 kids to school and all the events, shopping, and we took it camping and vacations.

And then the dreaded "soccer mom SUV" syndrome hit our home. "Hey Dad, the kids calls us hippies when mom drops us off at school". All the other moms had Suburbans and Expeditions. So after 10 years I got weak, and bought them an Expedition (which had many problems and none of us really liked). And our beloved Vanagon sat next to the house for about 1.5 years until I called some charity and let her go for the tax deduction.

I loved that Vanagon, we all loved it. Yeah it broke down on occasion, but not too bad. School field trips were great, 5 kids in the back facing each other with the jump seat configuration created a lot of fun. Family vacations were great in that vehicle.

So... definitely regret letting it go. I still have all the service records and the original sticker from new. Guess I should try and hunt down that very one wherever she may be.

Roland

Last edited by silversync on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:
Just reread my post and came off way to harsh.

Last edited by Zero419 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
westfailed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie-put on your Ruby slippers and wish away...
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we traded the 87 vanagon for an 88 gmc safari. that van was a very dependable vehicle. 300,000 trouble-free miles. but we still missed the vanagon and as soon as we could, bought another one...

there is just something about vanagons.
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Zero419"]Derail alert!

I see too much domestic car bashing on this site (Ford in this instance).

My first car, back in 1970, was a 1965 Ford Mustang. Now, my VW is powered by a Ford engine. No bashing from this guy.
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BoneMachine"]
Zero419 wrote:
Derail alert!

I see too much domestic car bashing on this site (Ford in this instance).

My first car, back in 1970, was a 1965 Ford Mustang. Now, my VW is powered by a Ford engine. No bashing from this guy.

My apologies, I didn't consider that it might offend someone.

Roland
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful what you wish for i picked mine up in 91 , and i share the same memories as debbiej , remember back then there was no SAMBA, no big vendors like we have today, even the VW dealers hated vanagons....we were truly on our own, cast a drift the unwanted prodigal son of the vw fleet so to speak...hell i remember the vw dealer was using the wrong coolant back then...point is the factory trained techs were still learning about these vans...and they always made you feel more unwelcome then welcome "you mean you dont have a jetta?" .i went thru three 2.1 motors in the nineties by 98 my van was parked for a good 10 + years ...we live in a wonderful world for vanagon owners now Embarassed Laughing i never want to go back!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents bought a 1974 Westfalia brand new, had it when I was still a kid and the only memories I have of it are being broken down at the side of the road! Can't believe I even like VW's anymore, let alone LOVE them and only own them Shocked

I'll have more old ones someday, If I hadn't bought my syncro I would have picked up a decent '78 westy that needed work for a few hundred dollars. Just need more garage space!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want one year back with the NOW van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the ones we have today are the "survivors". it's true they seem better now!
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually have 3 vans that were bought new and still in the family the ones that were babied all still have issues granted they have all spent their fair share of time sitting and un registered. The hard times were the late ninety’s before the vendors came around trying to find some one to work on them and some parts came from Europe (shipping for PS lines was a bit expensive Rolling Eyes ) and the coolant bubble in the Syncro came with the part number DENETTE Shocked when it arrived on the door step. Though I now maintain them I am glad my parents kept mine for me and there are many years of happy memories in all our vans. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdenette wrote:
We actually have 3 vans that were bought new and still in the family the ones that were babied all still have issues ....

Though I now maintain them I am glad my parents kept mine for me and there are many years of happy memories in all our vans. Very Happy

Very cool!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local VW dealer LOVED them so much they cornered the market on the last new ones in the country.

BUT, BUT, BUT, they were SO ugly to me and had so many issues from new, that we just kept buying new front wheel drive VWs.

Only after solutions for must common issues were out that they were sort of OK.

My 85 1.9 Westy still drives just they way it should....slow....

When I finally found my Mutlivan which needed all sorts of work, did I step up to the world of engine conversions and am pretty happy now....

They still are sort of ugly to me....form follows function, I guess.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: