Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is This a Good Price?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Is This a Good Price? Reply with quote

Hi T3 people. I have been looking at a 1971 squareback for sale here in Seattle. They are asking five hundred bucks for it. I looked it over, and it appears to be bone stock, except a few minor engine pieces like the air filter, ECT. There is only a bit of rust in front of the door jam and some rust holes in the rear floor pan - pretty minor. It has the original paint, from what I can tell. And the interior is really nice and original. I know this is hard to judge without pics, but does this seem to be a good price?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs, and is not rusted out, $500 is a good price. Check that the title matches the car.
BTW, you say the air cleaner is not stock?? A '71 T-3 should have Fuel Injection, and is hard to change the air cleaner.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
If it runs, and is not rusted out, $500 is a good price. Check that the title matches the car.
BTW, you say the air cleaner is not stock?? A '71 T-3 should have Fuel Injection, and is hard to change the air cleaner.

I did not realize that that should have fuel injection. I will have to look closer. It has what appears to be a paper element filter it looked like about four inches by about two inches square.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 is a deal here in the midwest, not sure for out there, though. I paid $500 for my squareback and it was a real pile when I got it.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemke' wrote:
I did not realize that that should have fuel injection. I will have to look closer. It has what appears to be a paper element filter it looked like about four inches by about two inches square.

Is this a filter in the center with a hump in the middle of the floor?? If so, then this is a 2 bbl Weber. Probably one of the worst things you can put on a T-3.

I would look the car over GOOD for other hack jobs then.

lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter I observed was on the top right of the engine.
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemke' wrote:

If you're able, post some photos of the car and the engine.
Samba Member #4862
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
lemke' wrote:

If you're able, post some photos of the car and the engine.

I don't have a digital camera, Bubbles, but that is on my Xmas wish list so perhaps I can post some pix in a few days. I have been wanting to post some pictures of my Ghia for a long time, as well.
paulie walnuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemke - this is what a Type3 with fuel injection intact should look like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ignore those yellow arrows - this was an ad I posted looking for someone to sell me exhaust parts.

You can see the round black air filter unit, and those tubes running horizontally at the top rear of the engine are the part of the intake. the bug looking thing in the center is the intake air distributor that feeds the air into the cylinders.

Take a look at this photo in the gallery - perfect shot of what intact fuel injection should look like:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=99318

if you're seeing paper air filters - sounds like maybe it was converted to carbs.
+ Chevy work truck.

wish list: late 60's early 70's 911 E or T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look for carbs.....or a shit load of wires and hose....if you find what I say....It's fuel infuckted....
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paulie Walnuts and DNA. The squareback I looked definitely had a paper filter so it obviously was converted to carbs. Incidentally Paulie Walnuts, the air filter on the picture you posted looks like an oil bath, is that so?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemke' wrote:
Incidentally Paulie Walnuts, the air filter on the picture you posted looks like an oil bath, is that so?

I'm not Paulie Walnuts, but yes it is. One of the best air filters you can get.

paulie walnuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not Paulie Walnuts,

what do you mean you're not Paulie Walnuts? All this time Russ I thought it was you!! Wink
+ Chevy work truck.

wish list: late 60's early 70's 911 E or T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that that would be a good deal. I live by you and I payed $950.00 for my 71 F/I Sqbk but it is a driver.

Mike
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This a Good Price? Reply with quote

lemke' wrote:
Hi T3 people. I have been looking at a 1971 squareback for sale here in Seattle. They are asking five hundred bucks for it. I looked it over, and it appears to be bone stock, except a few minor engine pieces like the air filter, ECT. There is only a bit of rust in front of the door jam and some rust holes in the rear floor pan - pretty minor. It has the original paint, from what I can tell. And the interior is really nice and original. I know this is hard to judge without pics, but does this seem to be a good price?

TIA

Well, it's probably a good price. I think a better price would be a 6 pack of Guinness, or free, but that's just me. Very Happy My 71 Square (now my Roadster 2 project) was a freebie car to me, only because I was closer to the PO than the recycling yard. Shocked I also know someone here got a car for a 6 pack of Guinness too. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This a Good Price? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Well, it's probably a good price. I think a better price would be a 6 pack of Guinness, or free, but that's just me. Very Happy My 71 Square (now my Roadster 2 project) was a freebie car to me, only because I was closer to the PO than the recycling yard. Shocked I also know someone here got a car for a 6 pack of Guinness too. Rolling Eyes

I resemble that remark... I did have to tow it about 120 miles, and I lost a tire on the way home.

willz0072002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: lucky Reply with quote

well..i apid 1200 for mine..in wa..but i had to have it....it was..without motor...and rust on pan....and somewhat crappy interior and some exterior problems....not2 bad though...i thought i got a good deal.....

i put a 1776 in it..and paint, welded pans, rack and working on interiour.. got about 3k into it now....not2shabby though for what it is:P

good find
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: